Donnelly Partridge

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Donnelly Partridge

Post by Old Hat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:16 pm

This is a pattern that was popular in the 30's-40's steelhead scene in Southern Oregon/Northern California. I have had good days with it on smaller inland streams and rivers.

The original used olive floss for the body, I like mohair or silk chenille. There were two original variations. The olive floss body and and yellow floss body with gold ribbing. Both use palmered partridge hackle and a partridge wing.
Donnelly Partridge.jpg
Donnelly Partridge.jpg (191.36 KiB) Viewed 7764 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Donnelly Partridge

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Gee that's a lovely pattern. Where did you find this pattern?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Carl, there is a lot going on with this one. That's a beautiful combination. How is your steelie season going?
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:17 pm

That is really nice, Carl.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks guys.

Ray this shows up in just a couple older steelhead publications I have. Most notably Trey Combs' Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies. It has the only photo (an old BW) of one tied by Donnelly. I was always attracted by the rather odd use of the partridge, especially for steelhead.

William, steelhead season has been slow. Some fish in but everything is running late due to all the dry weather we had this summer and fall. Just started getting some precip the last couple weeks. So hopefully things will pick up.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:25 am

Lovely fly. If I could only have one book on steelhead fishing, that would be the book.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Old Hat wrote:Thanks guys.

Ray this shows up in just a couple older steelhead publications I have. Most notably Trey Combs' Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies. It has the only photo (an old BW) of one tied by Donnelly. I was always attracted by the rather odd use of the partridge, especially for steelhead.

William, steelhead season has been slow. Some fish in but everything is running late due to all the dry weather we had this summer and fall. Just started getting some precip the last couple weeks. So hopefully things will pick up.

I've got that book but haven't opened it up for years. I'll have to check out the old patterns as I'm after a display of those. I've got his little blue book that was out in the 70's and I think quickly disappeared from print.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Beautiful fly, Carl. Reminds me of some of the old feather wing bass flies that were popular back when I was young. Vickie still likes to putter around with them.

If your steelhead fishing is anything like ours, all your rivers are running out of their banks and the color of coffee with cream. The fish are in, you just get to them.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Ron,
Steelhead pattern or not, this is a great looking pattern for sure. I love those big, broad partridge wings and the combination of materials just as you have them now! Great look to the whole affair. Your work is great!
Does anyone know where I can sign up for fly tying classes?
Klunky Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.