Moss Dog Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Re: Moss Dog Fly

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Oh my gosh Scott!
This pattern (and the mini-tutorial) is gorgeous! I still love your style of tying which I find most appealing. I think I am going to have to learn by osmosis! Are you going to be attending any of the major shows in the Wheeling, WV/Pitts. PA area this spring? Wait a minute....there are no shows in this market area! Oh well, I will catch up with you somewhere, someday!
An admirerer from Ohio,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:10 am

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the link to the Dennis Moss article. I go to Ireland next May to fish there and I will tie the nine flies of the article. When they are ready I shall show them on this forum.

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:00 am

Ruard, I'm looking forward to this; nine mossy flies, with your own twist.
What part of Ireland will you be visiting?
Admit that I'm envious.

dd
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:33 pm

daringduffer wrote:Ruard, I'm looking forward to this; nine mossy flies, with your own twist.
What part of Ireland will you be visiting?
Admit that I'm envious.

dd
Hi DD,

We will go to the County of Mayo and we hired a home almost on the banks of the river Moy.

I do my best to make something of these nine flies of Dennis Moss.

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:44 pm

The only thing I know about the river Moy is that it has no grayling. Likewise, no vipers in Ireland. Living at the riverside is unbeatable. Preben Torp Jacobsen taught his friends to fish "the Danish way". He brought a basket full of food and wine, or beer, to the riverside and lay down; eating and drinking until the fish were well into their meal. Then he presented one of his beautiful flies to a chosen trout and his day was fulfilled.
I remember a summers day in 1994 when a friend and I were sitting right by the riverside, eating bread and gorgonzola and olives and drinking ale, while watching the fish rising. We were content seeing them and trying to figure out how big they were. We did not fish, yet we were fishing all the time.

dd
swellcat

Re: Torp Knows How to Live

Post by swellcat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:54 pm

He brought a basket full of food and wine, or beer, to the riverside and lay down, eating and drinking until the fish were well into their meal. Then, he presented one of his beautiful flies to a chosen trout, and his day was fulfilled.

I remember a summer's day in 1994 when a friend and I were sitting right by the riverside, eating bread and Gorgonzola and olives and drinking ale, while watching the fish rising. We were content seeing them and trying to figure out how big they were. We did not fish, yet we were fishing all the time.
Literary passage? Because, it pretty much could be.

_____
daringduffer

Re: Torp Knows How to Live

Post by daringduffer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:44 pm

swellcat wrote:
He brought a basket full of food and wine, or beer, to the riverside and lay down, eating and drinking until the fish were well into their meal. Then, he presented one of his beautiful flies to a chosen trout, and his day was fulfilled.

I remember a summer's day in 1994 when a friend and I were sitting right by the riverside, eating bread and Gorgonzola and olives and drinking ale, while watching the fish rising. We were content seeing them and trying to figure out how big they were. We did not fish, yet we were fishing all the time.
Literary passage? Because, it pretty much could be.

_____
Well, not really. It's just the way words come to me when I think.

dd
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Ruard, Howdy;

As dd and some others have not yet said, looking forward to your versions of
the flies you take in May to the County of Mayo to fish the Moy.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin