Nichols' October Caddis Wet

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ScottP

Nichols' October Caddis Wet

Post by ScottP » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:58 am

This version's for Coastal Cutthroats; for bigger stuff you might want some heavier iron.

hook - Mustad 3906B. #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black
rib - oval tinsel gold
body - Antron dubbing ginger/orange
hackle - saddle (you want the webby stuff) brown
wing - elk hair
head - Ice Dub black

Regards,
Scott
tie2fish

Re: Nichols' October Caddis Wet

Post by tie2fish » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:56 am

That is top notch, Scott.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:58 am

Outstanding! I love this pattern, and find myself daydreaming about fishing it for the Coastal Cutthroats someday. I'm so jealous.

As I was studying the hackle on this fly, I thought of another hackle you may want to try for variations. If you look on the shoulder area of a golden pheasant skin, there is a small patch of cinnamon/orangy/golden brown feathers which would compliment this pattern nicely. I thought that is what you were using until I read our recipe.

Top notch indeed! ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks guys; appreciate the kind words. Ray, the golden pheasant sounds like a great idea; I'll see if they have any at the shop in town. I'd play around with dyeing some hen ringtail, but my supplies are 2700 miles away.

Regards,
Scott
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:48 am

Scott, Nice pattern for Sea Run Cutthroat. May have to give that a try this fall.

Ray, Vickie and I usually take a Sea Run Cutt trip for our wedding anniversary on the Cowlitz River, just south of us. Here's a pic of VEE with a typical SRC. It's like hooking into a little silver torpedo traveling at full speed. Great fish, and once they color up after being in the fresh water, drop dead gorgeous.

"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"