Hendrickson Winged Wet Flies

Moderators: letumgo, William Anderson

WiFlyfisher
Site Admin
antispam: No
count: 3

Hendrickson Winged Wet Flies

Post by WiFlyfisher » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:17 pm

I can't remember ever seeing what I feel is a really good representation for a Hendrickson winged wet fly. I know there is are dark and light Hendrickson wet flies tied with wood duck flank feathers but that to me is not close to representing the real insect.

This Winter I want to try various ideas on making a more realistic Hendrickson winged wet fly pattern. The first photo has 2 Hendrickson male stillborns that I captured in my hand seine during the Hendrickson hatch.

Playing around with some materials I think I have come up with a close representation of a Hendrickson male stillborn. The body uses William Bailey's orange mohair blended with Jan Better's original Australian Opossum Dubbing which was used to tie the Fran Better's Ausable Wulff pattern. I added yellow thread for a ribbing to give the segmented appearance. The wet fly on the left I tied with a grouse hackle and dark gray shoulder feathers from a mallard duck. The fly on the right I used a light gray hen hackle with gray duck quills, which I like better.

I think the body colors are right on but I still need to find the perfect material for the wing.

So has anyone else seen or tried something similar for a Hendrickson winged wet fly pattern?
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Hendrickson Winged Wet Flies

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:37 pm

John - I love this kind of post. An imitative pattern, based on fishing experience. I bet these flies would work very well for you, next time you encounter a hendrickson hatch. The fly on the right has a wing that looks a little lighter than the natural, but that may be because the fly is dry. The mallard wing seems to be closer to the insect wing coloration. If you want another option, you may want to consider using slips of waterhen quill for the wing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:23 am

This is lovely. What vibrant colors they have.

You might try some synthetic raffia and trim to shape? Or if you have a wing burner.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Are you tying this pattern as a rolled wing or a paired quill wing like many old wet fly patterns.
WiFlyfisher
Site Admin

Post by WiFlyfisher » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:16 pm

zen leecher wrote:Are you tying this pattern as a rolled wing or a paired quill wing like many old wet fly patterns.
I prefer paired duck quills, which I am virtually out of right now.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:12 pm

John - Where have you been buying your duck quills? Or are you a duck hunter? I have had really mixed results buying duck quills online. Some are good, some are aweful. It's one of the materials I now tend to buy in person, so I can be sure what I am getting.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau
Jerry G
count: 5

Post by Jerry G » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:59 pm

I made a trip last spring to a Cabelas store. They had four or five bags containing two mallard wings each. With a clerk there I opened a couple bags so as to get a reasonably close pair. Once home I paired up feathers and tapped the ends to keep the sets together. From there they went into a paper bag and were set in the freezer for a couple two week intervals with being brought out to room temperature for a couple hours in between.

Regards, Jerry
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks Jerry. Next time I visit my local Cabelas I will keep an eye open for mallard wings. ;)

Henry David Thoreau
WiFlyfisher
Site Admin

Post by WiFlyfisher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:04 am

Ray, mostly I use Nature Spirits paired duck quill but I have used Cabela's mallard wings and never needed to put them in the freezer before using - no bug issues. The mallard wings I use more so for the smaller gray shoulder feathers on Ephemerella wingless wet fly patterns.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:50 am

letumgo wrote:Thanks Jerry. Next time I visit my local Cabelas I will keep an eye open for mallard wings. ;)
Pretty much every feather on a mallard wing is useful. One of the best bargains in fly tying, IMO.
Bob