Cow Dung Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Cow Dung Fly

Post by tie2fish » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:38 pm

wsbailey wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:14 pm I think chukar tail make a good substitute for landrail.

Image Image
That's a good piece of information, Bill. Thanks!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm

dj1212 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:46 pm Great looking fly. Like it alot. Could you tell me what color the Veniard dyed starling is? Thanks
Thanks for the compliment. Veniard used to sell starling wings dyed brown as a credible sub for land rail; even those are in very short supply these days. I do not know whether they bleached them first or not.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 pm

The Cow Fly fly illustrated in Alfred Ronalds' "The Fly Fisher's Entomology" no. 6

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 5/mode/1up
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 am

tie2fish wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm
dj1212 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:46 pm Great looking fly. Like it alot. Could you tell me what color the Veniard dyed starling is? Thanks
Thanks for the compliment. Veniard used to sell starling wings dyed brown as a credible sub for land rail; even those are in very short supply these days. I do not know whether they bleached them first or not.
Thanks for the info. I love looking through the flies pictured on this forum.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 am

wsbailey wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 pm The Cow Fly fly illustrated in Alfred Ronalds' "The Fly Fisher's Entomology" no. 6

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 5/mode/1up
Thank you again, Bill. It looks as though Leisenring's recipe follows that of Ronald pretty closely.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 am

tie2fish wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:38 pm
wsbailey wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:14 pm I think chukar tail make a good substitute for landrail.

Image Image
That's a good piece of information, Bill. Thanks!
I don't own a chukkar skin, but I do have a nice French partridge which is a very close cousin. Yes, there are a few of the tail feathers where the color is close to the Veniard landrail sub. Unfortunately, they are relatively small with not a lot of area available for cutting out wing slips. Perhaps a real chukkar will offer more material.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 am

Moscow Hide and Fur has lots of chukar for sale. They also sell the tails separately. Cutting the feather shaft maximizes the length of the slip but you're right, the size of the tail limits it's usefulness.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:51 am

there's a guy down in Tennessee that has yellowish dyed starling for sale. I got some from him for the cowdung I tied for the last swap I participated in. My eye issues have "improved" enough to where I think I could start tying flies again.

Anyways the dyed starling wings are still sitting on my tying desk where I set them.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Image Image
+ 1 for Chukar, yet another highly underused, underrated bird. About 12 years ago or so, I was chukar hunting out west-one of the birds are shot I had a distinct olive cast to it. Of course I brought it home to use for soft hackles -But I had forgotten about it until I found it squirreled away in a bag last night while I was looking for something else!
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Dana, your chukar sounds like it could stand in for a lapwing. I plan to dye a chukar skin with yellow dye for the same effect. Roger Fogg used Pantone markers on French partridge.