Landrail Sub

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Landrail Sub

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 am

Anyone have an idea for a good Landrail primary substitute? Trying to finish out the Leisenring set and his Coachman lists Landrail for the wing. I have never seen Landrail in person, the photos of the flies Lance has shared it appears to be a light brown dun color maybe.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Theroe

Re: Landrail Sub

Post by Theroe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 am

Wood thrush???

I can send you some ....
Soft and wet - the only way....
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 am

Carl ~

Veniard used to sell starling skins that had been bleached and then dyed a light brown as landrail sub. I used up all I had, but have purchased some bleached starling to try dying. I will send you some of the bleached starling if you would like it. Please PM me.

Bill
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks for the offers guys.

Bill, problem is I don't really know what I am looking for as far as color, nor would I probably dye some myself. Not my favorite thing to do.

As far as thrush Dana, I have no idea really if it would be a good sub.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am

I think chukar makes a good sub and Leisenring ended up using French partridge. If you can find something better then great. That's an actual landrail wing in the photo next to the chukar tail.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7903&hilit=Landrail
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm

In Fly Fishing & Fly Tying for October 2011, Geoffrey Bucknall has a piece about feather choice. There he lists as a good landrail substitute:
In a partridge tail you may also find several plain ginger feathers. These are excellent substitutes for protected landrail feathers, once used for sedge-fly wings. Fold a section, then tie it down flat on top of the hook-shank. this wing is supposed to split.
He also suggests the use of the European jay primary wing feather for wing slips instead of starling due to the "semi-transparent, almost silvery sheen", although it is fragile. Use it for Greenwell's Glory, for example. Snap it out from its parent feather so the fibre roots cling together. Works for both wet and dry flies'.

Here he also suggests the use of pigeon's secondary as a source for body herls for Kite's Imperial and other olives. He knows no better body herl and the secondaries offer three different shades.

The article is illustrated with photos and it is easy to understand his point.

I don't have time right now for the rest.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks guys. Chukar and Partridge I have plenty of. I'll take a look. The chukar tail looks like it may be a good match.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Carl, I believe I have a spare chukar skin if you need one. Also, if you have one of the last swaps I participated in and tied a cow dung fly I had to find a landrail substitute. I believe I used chukar. I listed the winging material on the toe tag. I checked out a few different wings and didn't find one I really, really liked. I think I settled on chukar. I did have yellow dyed starling in the materials being considered. Didn't look exactly like what I wanted.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks Bill for the offer. I have quite a bit of chukar though. 3 Birds, 2 tails and it looks like it may work well.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 pm

I might have posted these before.
Attachments
Landrail Sub Inherited.jpg
Landrail Sub Inherited.jpg (238.7 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Landrail Subs.jpg
Landrail Subs.jpg (219.29 KiB) Viewed 3084 times