Mustad Catalog of Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Mustad Catalog of Flies

Post by joaniebo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:03 am

Just saw this on a Facebook post. Great pics of MANY flies in a downloadable pdf file.

https://flypattern.org/pdf/mustad-catalogue.pdf

Bob
Theroe

Re: Mustad Catalog of Flies

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:30 am

Wow Bob – that’s extra fancy. Thank you for the link.
Soft and wet - the only way....
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:37 pm

Nice. Where did you find this? I’d love to know the date of this. Alas not all of the flies listed are photographed, but hopefully somewhere there are more?
One of the flies listed is the Loves Lure. (302) It’s long been thought of as an NZ ‘native’ fly, but I have never been convinced. This document just adds weight to my suspicions it is an Old English pattern.... pity there isn’t a pic of it in the flies...
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Johnno wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:37 pm Nice. Where did you find this? I’d love to know the date of this. Alas not all of the flies listed are photographed, but hopefully somewhere there are more?
One of the flies listed is the Loves Lure. (302) It’s long been thought of as an NZ ‘native’ fly, but I have never been convinced. This document just adds weight to my suspicions it is an Old English pattern.... pity there isn’t a pic of it in the flies...
Johnno - I thought the same thing.......but if you let the whole file load, you will see nice color pix!!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing this pdf link. I downloaded it to my iPad for future reference. What a great addition. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm

I appreciated that. Thank you for sharing it with us.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Johnno wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:37 pm Nice. Where did you find this? I’d love to know the date of this. Alas not all of the flies listed are photographed, but hopefully somewhere there are more?
Here's the link:

https://flypattern.org/authors
bocast

Post by bocast » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:20 am

There's a fly on that list called Fenwick's Favorite. I wonder if there is any connection to the rod builders.
My mistake. It's Femwick's not Fenwick's.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 am

Cool, I particularly like the Silver Bait Fluers.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Old Hat wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 am Cool, I particularly like the Silver Bait Fluers.
Agreed:

But the hook perplexed me when I first saw it--as it looks like a pike hook Partridge used to make. But is clearly smaller.

Then--strangely enough--yesterday in an old Wheatley box I bought on eBay in England were two flies that had similar hooks:

They're about a size 14 as far as the bend size is concerned. I stripped one down for a better look, and it appears brazed, albeit rusted somewhat from age:

Does anyone have any idea who made this hook, and when?

bb