Winged Starling & Eggplant

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Winged Starling & Eggplant

Post by joaniebo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm

If I had any purple Gossamer silk, I'd probably call this dressing a "Winged Starling & Purple." But since I no longer have any purple Gossamer silk, thus the name change.

If you look closely, I tie in the starling hackle by the tip on top of the hook, do a couple thread wraps of YLI100 - 244 - Eggplant before using the rest of the feather for a hackle, including the fuzzy stuff towards the bottom of the stem.

Might do a few others with the Eggplant silk but use a Golden Plover hackle, tip and all.
Attachments
Starling & Eggplant - 01.JPG
Starling & Eggplant - 01.JPG (289.43 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Winged Starling & Eggplant

Post by letumgo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 pm

Those are outstanding! Looks like an ideal fishing fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 am

Beautiful work; nicely done! I tie the same pattern in black (you tie it better) I tie it small, #18 because I can't tie #20's, and fish it very early in our season if I can find any open water. I had thought it might be a good representation of the Little Black stones that are everywhere at that point. For whatever reason, all I seem to catch on it are salmon, the brookies tend to leave it alone.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Joaniebo,
Wow! These are beautiful and would definitely reek havoc in my neighborhood (Bluegills mainly)! I like what is done with the feather tip (it becomes a wing) and, at least to me, the way it looks! Using the filmy, base feather is not new but, you have done a terrific job in executing it on the hook shank! What an attractive looking pattern! Good job friend! I like what you have done in the past and do now!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.