Trout Spey

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Trout Spey

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am

After looking at the posts of others with their perfectly tented bronze mallard wings, impeccable floss and tinsel work, I started feeling a bit inadequate. I started to think rebellion. I thought, I can tart up a fly to look like a lady of the evening. I also wanted to see just how much stuff I could lash on a one inch steelhead shank. Here it is, the Rainbow Tart. Of course, when I put it back in the vise, I put it in crooked. Shank is a Firehole SS 100, Trailing hook is a Firehole 714 in size 8, Intruder wire is 50 pound Power Pro braided line, Thread is UTC 70 in black, Tail is about 20 strands of bright blue Flashabou doubled over, topped with about 20 strands of Rainbow Flashabou doubled over. Body is mostly Fun Fur in black, sort of an eyelash yarn with really long lashes, to help hole up the hackle. Hackle is three to four turns of purple marabou, followed by the same of black marabou. The collar is black schlappen.
Attachments
DSCN2225.JPG
DSCN2225.JPG (301.34 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:55 pm

Gorgeous fly, I love the name! It immediately conjures up images of the Monty Python troupe at the vice.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:16 pm

That is looking dangerously close to a tube fly. Don’t tempt me so… :twisted:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:51 am

letumgo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:16 pm That is looking dangerously close to a tube fly. Don’t tempt me so… :twisted:
I really like tying on shanks with a trailing hook. Knowing I can change out the hook should it get damaged or if I need a larger or smaller hook is a plus.

I've been tying on Firehole Steelhead shanks and they are pretty beefy. If I can find some suitable wire that's a bit smaller, I'll be making my own shanks.

I'm using 12 gauge stainless wire for making articulated shanks for trout and bass flies. For true "Trout Spey" flies that should work I guess. I'll make a few and see.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
BrkTrt

Post by BrkTrt » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:49 pm

trout spey2.jpg
trout spey2.jpg (241.77 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
Alan
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:35 am

Very nice, Alan. They look so lively when fished. What hook and size is that?
BrkTrt

Post by BrkTrt » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:35 am Very nice, Alan. They look so lively when fished. What hook and size is that?
REE,

I tried to take some video of the spey fly in action. It was tough but I managed to get. I'll post it as soon as I upload it to youtube.

The hook is a #8, fly shack saber.

Alan
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:52 am

BrkTrt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:35 am Very nice, Alan. They look so lively when fished. What hook and size is that?
REE,

I tried to take some video of the spey fly in action. It was tough but I managed to get. I'll post it as soon as I upload it to youtube.

The hook is a #8, fly shack saber.

Alan
Thank you, Good Sir.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Haven't run into any steelhead, even the Lake Erie type, or Coho or Silver Salmon, so trout spey flies are just the ticket. I've been playing with miniature (as in micro) version of the Dolly Lama and Intruder. Both flies are normally 4 to 6 inches long. Here's my micro versions. The penny is for scale. Dolly Lama on top, Intruder on Bottom. Both hooks are TMC 206BL snelled with 8 pound tippet. Had to bend the eye up a bit more to accommodate the tippet and let the hook ride properly. Both are on home made shanks.
Attachments
DSCN2232.JPG
DSCN2232.JPG (380.15 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:02 am

Alan and all our other contributors to this thread,
I don't know how I missed this! All of the flies here are simply stunning! They are indeed art in and of themselves as well as effective fishing flies! I like the concept of turning salmon speys into trout speys! Solar's Nemesis tied as a spey is particularly interesting to me given it's unique background!
What else do you guys have us your sleeves? This is fascinating!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.