Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnMD1022

Re: Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Post by JohnMD1022 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:52 pm

"If anyone runs across a sub for Pearsall's 6A, post it up please. Carl did an amazing job researching the color subs for every color I normally use, except 6A."

If you still need an answer, the cross-reference file I'm compiling shows YLI 231.

john

p.s. I see you got an earlier reply. :)

I'm trying to cross-reference Pearsall's/YLI/Kimono/Ephemera. No color charts just names and numbers.

I'll forward a copy when it is more complete
"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:07 am

JohnMD1022 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:52 pm "If anyone runs across a sub for Pearsall's 6A, post it up please. Carl did an amazing job researching the color subs for every color I normally use, except 6A."

If you still need an answer, the cross-reference file I'm compiling shows YLI 231.

john1

p.s. I see you got an earlier reply. :)

I'm trying to cross-reference Pearsall's/YLI/Kimono/Ephemera. No color charts just names and numbers.

I'll forward a copy when it is more complete
Hey, John, I have a spool of that YLI 231 in hand and it's a very close match, even when wet. It gets my vote.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:25 am

Has anyone found a Kimono or YLI thread that works for Pearsalls 6b? Thanks

Doug
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Doug,

Carl suggests Kimono #370 (Teriyaki) for Pearsall's 6b (Sherry Spinner). See his side-by-side picture comparison in the original post.

Tight Lines- Ken
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:48 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:34 pm Doug,

Carl suggests Kimono #370 (Teriyaki) for Pearsall's 6b (Sherry Spinner). See his side-by-side picture comparison in the original post.

Tight Lines- Ken
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have read this thread from the beginning. :? Feeling a little embarrassed.

Doug
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:13 am

Roadkill wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 am A trip to a fabric/craft store and the local hardware store set me up to load sewing bobbins with Kimono and YLI silk for my expo tying box...

ImageIMGP0028 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

a tapered metal pin to fit into the bobbins and a plumbing washer drilled to fit enabled me to spin up the silk with my variable speed drill...

ImageIMGP0032 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Roadkill's Pearsall's replacement silk selection ready for the Albany Expo ;)
https://nwexpo.com/wp/
Great idea! I found this on Etsy to help spool some bulk wire that I bought. It attaches to my wife's sewing machine. He makes them in 2 sizes to fit various machines. ($10 plus shipping) I don't have any Pearsall's, so I don't need the extra bobbins, but that is an outstanding idea! I just need to find a source for spools. I went to Michael's and these work, but not exactly what I wanted.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/782307167/ ... allery-1-4

Greg
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:01 pm

Superior Threads Kimono Silk Color Reference Chart 1 (Front/Side 1)

Superior Threads Kimono Silk Color Reference Chart 1(Back/Side 2)

Superior Threads Kimono Silk Color Reference Chart 2 (Front/Side 1)
Superior Threads Kimono Silk Color Reference Chart 2 (Back/Side 2)

I recently invested in the Kimono Silk Color Reference Chart, and figured it would make a nice addition to Carl's excellent comparison photos to the Pearsall's Silk colors.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 pm

Started using Kimono silk last summer to get colors no longer available in Pearsall's and as I ran out of Pearsall's. As a novice I can't comment on the difference in tying between the two brands but will say I like the Kimono just as well and the trout don't seem to notice the difference either. The one difference I have noticed is that so far have not had any problems with broken thread on the spool with Kimono like I had with Pearsall's. With Pearsall's Primrose and Orange had multiple breaks in thread about half way through the spool. Was a real pain. Would be tying a fly and the thread would suddenly end, usually at the worst possible point. Hopefully won't have this issue with the Kimono.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:02 pm

Anybody have any experience with Belding Corticelli silks? Or how size "A" is in comparison to pearsalls or any other related ought or denier?
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:17 pm

I have a lot of Corticelli Belding silk thread. Here is a chart showing relative sizes of silk thread.

http://www.bestfromjapan.com/moreinfo.c ... t_id=13490

Gossamer is considered to be slightly finer than 6/0.