Sunny Dun Hen Neck (variant)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Sunny Dun Hen Neck (variant)

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am

I was recently poking around on Jim Slattery's website and came across a Hebert Miner Hen Neck that I just had to buy. The color is really hard to describe. Overall, it is a pale grey (dun), but when you look closely the edges of the feathers they have a lovely soft golden yellow cast to them. The package simply list the color as "Variant" :?

The more I studied the feathers, the more it reminded me of a very pale honey dun color (champagne colored edges with a soft medium dun list down the middle). I'm going to call it "Sunny Dun", due to the yellowish cast to the tips of the hackle.

The color shifts a bit, depending on how you hold the neck, and the direction of the lighting.

Anyway, just wanted to share one of the more unusual color variants I've come across. Lance let me study some of Pete Hidy's hackle collection and I noted there quite a range of shades of honey dun, including some pale versions.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Niveker

Re: Sunny Dun Hen Neck (variant)

Post by Niveker » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 am

Wow, what a striking neck.

Can't wait to see you put it to use.
-- Kevin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:08 pm

Oh my! That is outstanding. I think you got one of Jim’s personal stock. Imagine having first pick of each batch of hackle… :mrgreen: :D

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:55 pm

:lol: :D (true that) ;)

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Ray / John

Thanks for showing the pics and name. I have a couple skins that color that I got quite a few years ago from Dave Roberts and had no idea what to call them.

bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:44 pm

letumgo wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am I was recently poking around on Jim Slattery's website and came across a Hebert Miner Hen Neck that I just had to buy. The color is really hard to describe. Overall, it is a pale grey (dun), but when you look closely the edges of the feathers they have a lovely soft golden yellow cast to them. The package simply list the color as "Variant" :?

The more I studied the feathers, the more it reminded me of a very pale honey dun color (champagne colored edges with a soft medium dun list down the middle). I'm going to call it "Sunny Dun", due to the yellowish cast to the tips of the hackle.

The color shifts a bit, depending on how you hold the neck, and the direction of the lighting.

Anyway, just wanted to share one of the more unusual color variants I've come across. Lance let me study some of Pete Hidy's hackle collection and I noted there quite a range of shades of honey dun, including some pale versions.
Ray - I was taught the color you have is honey dun….IMHO, shades sold TODAY are much darker than 30-40 years ago..z

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....