Ellis Slater Hackle Subs - part 3

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: Starling Skins - Reference Photos

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm

I quit buying US starling skins and order mine directly from Steve Cooper at Cookshill. Better quality, I think.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Male starlings have longer neck hackles which to me makes them first choice.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:31 pm

joaniebo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm I quit buying US starling skins and order mine directly from Steve Cooper at Cookshill. Better quality, I think.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. A few years ago, maybe 4, I know for someone here in the states that was sending starling skins to Steve.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 pm

narcodog wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:31 pm
joaniebo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm I quit buying US starling skins and order mine directly from Steve Cooper at Cookshill. Better quality, I think.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. A few years ago, maybe 4, I know for someone here in the states that was sending starling skins to Steve.
Part of the reason I quit buying US starling skins and wings were that on several of the wings, the light colored under wing hackles were missing from the US skins or wings ....those hackles have always been in the Cookshill skins and wings that I've received.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 pm

The law changed and now starlings are completely protected in the UK.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm

When I saw the above postings, I became concerned as I often order many materials (including starling skins and wings) from Cookshill, so I emailed Steve Cooper with the question and got a quick reply. I then emailed him back asking permission to post his response re: starling skins. Here's the email I received from Steve Cooper earlier today:

"Hi Bob

Starlings are now partially protected in the UK (for about the last 5 years) - this means that they can be controlled under licence and so are still available but more difficult to get.

I should be getting some UK origin Starlings for skinning later in the year if all goes well.

I do have some imported skins from the US but these are really badly skinned - nothing like the same quality as those I do myself

Hope that helps

Cheers Steve"