Claret pig's wool

A forum to discuss natural and dyed materials used in the tying of various soft hackle patterns for flymphs and other traditional wet fly patterns, as well as where to acquire the materials.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wsbailey

Claret pig's wool

Post by wsbailey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:59 am

Claret pig's wool for Leisenring's Great Red Spinner.

daringduffer

Re: Claret pig's wool

Post by daringduffer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:36 pm

I know of Belgian Blue but where do they breed Claret pigs??

dd
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:10 pm

At a vinyard.
Last edited by wsbailey on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Seems reasonable. Didn't think of that.

dd

:)
Last edited by daringduffer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Bill,

Is this your private stash, or is part of a batch your planning to sell?

BTW, that looks like the ultimate isonychia body material.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to ones self helps too)."
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:07 pm

I have 12 colors of pig's wool that will soon be available as soon as I mail them to FeathersMC. I've been very cautious with my supply because I am running low. I still have some dark wool that can be bleached but not light enough for light blue for example. With the colder weather unfortunately the dyeing season is ending.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Pigs wool; I wish I had a better imagination. Along with my Highland cattle, I raised Mangalista pigs for a few years. It never occurred to me to try and tie with all that wonderful hair they posses. There was a moment, we were working on a sow that had a gash on her side and we were using iodine as part of the process. The hair around the wound was white and I remember the color change that the iodine made on the hair was remarkable. I wish I had had the presence of mind to take some for tying.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Polly Rosborough wrote that for a fly tyer it's all grist for the mill. I got my Mangalitsa hair from a farm in England. Then they sold the herd. I can't seem to get anyone in the US to sell me any even though I offer them a lot for it. I have quite a bit of Highland cattle hair. It was mentioned in some of the old Scottish fly tying books. Here is some I dyed for Skues BWO nymph.

Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:06 pm

I almost wish I still had Mangalista's. Almost. Over-wintering pigs in this extreme climate is brutal, for both man and pig. The Highland's never seemed to mind the cold and their hair is wonderful stuff. The under-fur makes for some great dubbing possibilities especially when blended with the different colors of cows we used to get.