Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Variant
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23 am

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by Variant » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 am

Dana,
Thanks for the outstanding video!
Much better than Roger Woolleys description from MODERN TROUT FLY DRESSING.
Thanks again, Lou 🙂
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
nfrechet
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by nfrechet » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:33 am

thank you for the instructional video

there were some of those on the big auction site, i put in a bid but eventually lost
User avatar
Theroe
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 am

nfrechet wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:33 am
thank you for the instructional video

there were some of those on the big auction site, i put in a bid but eventually lost
nfrechet
that vendor has more, and they are reasonably priced. If you need his info, PM me.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
narcodog
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by narcodog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 am

I'm late to the game on this but I stripped quills like that in the '70's and I still have some stored in glycerin. I have no idea where I got the info from, it was from printed material.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
upstatetrout
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:47 am
Location: New York

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by upstatetrout » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I learned this from Ralph Graves who told me Walt Dette showed him. Walt could have learned from Ted or vice versa . Who knows?

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
User avatar
Theroe
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm

upstatetrout wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:33 pm
I learned this from Ralph Graves who told me Walt Dette showed him. Walt could have learned from Ted or vice versa . Who knows?

Tom
now that you mention it, I DO remember Ralph stripping duck quills in that manner - why I did NOT remember it before is beyond me.............
Soft and wet - the only way....
Variant
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23 am

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by Variant » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm

The earliest diagram And text that I have found on this method of stripping quills is on pages 15 thru 18 in ROGER WOOLLEYS book Titled MODERN TROUT FLY DRESSING first published 1932.
Woolley mentions using Goose,Swan and Condor.
Also it seems this method was around much earlier.😃

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
User avatar
Theroe
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Ted Neimeyer Stripped Quills

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:12 am

Variant wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm
The earliest diagram And text that I have found on this method of stripping quills is on pages 15 thru 18 in ROGER WOOLLEYS book Titled MODERN TROUT FLY DRESSING first published 1932.
Woolley mentions using Goose,Swan and Condor.
Also it seems this method was around much earlier.😃

Lou
Thank you for the history, Lou -
Soft and wet - the only way....
Post Reply