Melanistic Pheasant, Chukkar, Cornish Game Hen

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Melanistic Pheasant, Chukkar, Cornish Game Hen

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 am

Thought I'd put up some pictures of some recent feather additions to the tying bench. Several years ago I had a beautiful full skin of a Melanistic Ringneck Pheasant. At Expos, I used to lay out several of the different skins I used for people to see and ask questions about them. During a bathroom break at one of the shows, Albany, Oregon I think, someone slipped the Melanistic skin out of the bag and replaced it with a hen pheasant skin. I didn't even notice until we got back to Washington. My lovely wife, Vickie, knew I was looking for another skin and she spotted this rump patch hanging on the wall of a local antique store for $20. She sent a picture and asked if I wanted it. Unfortunately, the folks who had it in their booth did not have the rest of the bird. The photos do not do justice to the beauty of these feathers.
DSCN2241.JPG
DSCN2241.JPG (485.23 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
DSCN2238.JPG
DSCN2238.JPG (514.75 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
I also just got a very nice Chukkar skin with some beautiful, soft feather that are very nicely marked. This was part of a Moscow Hide and Fur order.
DSCN2243.JPG
DSCN2243.JPG (559.42 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Lastly, is the Cornish Game Hen, also from Moscow Hide and Fur. Doing a bit of research on these birds, they are usually white. They are slaughtered for meat at less than 5 weeks of age. I thought that surprising, based on the size of this skin. Again, using a flash indoors didn't do justice to the colors of these feathers. What appears black in the photo is actually and dark, shimmery green.
DSCN2242.JPG
DSCN2242.JPG (245.09 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Melanistic Pheasant, Chukkar, Cornish Game Hen

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:39 am

Looks like the Chukkar got out of order. I've got to snow blow the driveway, so if one of the mods can fix it, cool.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Someone stole your skin? At a show? Good lord.....

if you look around, you can find some pretty dark pheasants, like this guy:

I haven't used him much for tying, as I like smaller feathers (grouse and partridge)--but one thing nice about taxidermized birds is how you can cut off a feather here and there and not really notice much--they are so convenient--.

bb
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:08 pm

I saw REE's melanistic pheasant up close and personal a couple of weeks ago; spectacular. Subtle colorations, but at the same time, in-your-face. Truly a remarkable skin.
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:51 pm

Nice looking feathers.