Tying Wax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Re: Tying Wax

Post by paparex » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:50 pm

He use{d} a “sunshine oil” (which might have been an oil for miners head lamps.
The book is being shipped to me, in print, from an online seller (Abes Books). So I ask. What is sunshine oil?

The best internet search suggests Sunshine Oil is a brand name for cottonseed oil. It was used in miners lamps until the early 1900's.

Some beauty products contain cottonseed oil and are fortified with Vitamin E plus other stuff. The brand name for this product is Sunshine oil.

Wesson oil is purified cottonseed oil. Crisco is cotton seed oil that is chemically configured to be solid at room temperature. The shelf life of double bonded (trans) fats is longer that those with a preponderance single bonds.
I think he also oiled the dubbing
I'm interested . How does one "oil" dubbing?

"Thanks folks. That it for tonights Jeopardy!!"

Do I have any of that correct?

Rex
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:43 am

Hey Rex! My handle (Terrestrial12) comes from my little "brand" of wax. It's not so much a brand really, as I don't really push it or self promote. That's just not in my nature. But I did need a name when it started being recognized at tying events and sold in fly shops. How's about you send me your address and I'll send you some samples to play with?
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:46 pm

A couple other things I thought I'd mention...I have customers that in the cold winter months will take a larger size piece of wax (maybe the size of a marble rather than a pea) warm it till its soft, and mash a small magnet in it. From there they store it on or under the shade of their lamp so it's always nice and warm. Also, as far as restoration...as stated by Mr. Bailey, the problem is the oil portion of the wax goes dry. The oil you choose for your recipe is really important for the final product, and some last much longer before going dry than others. If you have a pretty substantial amount you don't want to throw away, consider melting it back down and adding a drop or 2 of fresh oil. It almost certainly won't be quite the same as the original product, but it should give you something plenty usable.