Tying Wax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Tying Wax

Post by paparex » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 am

I have two (2) different tying waxes. That is, Bailey's and the type Jim Slattery sells. Each is as hard as a frozen hockey puck.

How do I work with the waxes to regain the pliability and stick?
How do I store the waxes?

Thanks!

Rex
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Tying Wax

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:31 am

What I do with mine, is warm it until it's just pliable, then form it into balls about half the size of a pea. I place these into a sealed container filled with water. When I'm going to tie some flies, I get one of the pieces of wax from the container, put it into a small plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap and stick it in my shirt pocket. My body heat warms the wax a bit. Then I stick the wax on the first knuckle of my left hand. It stays warm and pliable during the tying session as body heat keeps it so. Once I'm done tying, peel the wax off my hand, roll it back into a ball and back into the water filled jar it goes.

Others may have different ideas and methods, but this works for me.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:31 am

One thing you might try is to warm the wax like Ron said. Then pull it like you would to clean a kneaded pencil eraser.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm

I've been happily using Mr. Bailey's tying wax for many years now. In the winter, I hold the wax in my hands (clasped together around the little disk of wax), to warm and soften the wax. Once it warms to body temperature, it becomes soft and pliable. In between tying sessions, I keep this wax in the little tin screw top container, between the little wax paper inserts it shipped with.

I've also used Jim Slattery's "Leisenring Wax" pellets. Warming makes them slightly more pliable, but overall that formula tends to be pretty stiff. Kneeding the pellet helps loosen it up a bit, but overall it tends to be a firm wax. I believe the high resin content contributes to it's firmness, and also it's adhesive quality.

I also have a disk of Shuck Wax (Bill Shuck gave it to me many years ago), and it is very similar to Bailey wax in texture. I have this wax wrapped in aluminum foil (for ease of handling), only pealing off enough foil to expose the wax surface along one edge. The outer surface of the exposed wax dries somewhat, but inside the wax has stayed nice and soft.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
paparex

Post by paparex » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:41 pm

Considering the age of the wax is 4-5 years, is there a particular way to warm the wax if storing it in water is my chosen style? Do I warm it in hot water, in an indirect water bath, direct heat, in my armpit?

I have tried the "holding the wax in my hand to soften it" but have never found that to work for me. Cold hands,, warm heart? If anyone has further instructions for me on softening the wax, getting it sticky and storing it, I would appreciate it.

Otherwise I'll go with hot water, making up a few BB size pellets and storing some in water and some in Aluminum foil. How does the skull shaped wax differ from other waxes?

Rex
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:08 pm

Rex, are talking about the wax in a tin or the white wax?
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:40 pm

paparex wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:41 pm Considering the age of the wax is 4-5 years, is there a particular way to warm the wax if storing it in water is my chosen style? Do I warm it in hot water, in an indirect water bath, direct heat, in my armpit?

I have tried the "holding the wax in my hand to soften it" but have never found that to work for me. Cold hands,, warm heart? If anyone has further instructions for me on softening the wax, getting it sticky and storing it, I would appreciate it.

Otherwise I'll go with hot water, making up a few BB size pellets and storing some in water and some in Aluminum foil. How does the skull shaped wax differ from other waxes?

Rex
Rex, I use warm, not hot water, to soften the wax.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
paparex

Post by paparex » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:33 pm

The Baileys is in the tin.

I used warm water and both warmed up, became pliable. Stored them in air tight containers. I'll continue to evaluate my skills to learn new things.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:29 pm

I’ve never had to revive any of the tin wax so I don’t know of any solution.
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 pm

I purchased some L Harrington Keene White Wax from Gunpowder Tackle. This wax looks more "milky" than other waxes I've seen. Anyway, in the package was an insert that indicated storage in the freezer would prolong life. Obviously, you wouldn't want to store the whole piece in the freezer, or it would be a pain to warm up prior to use. I've yet to use this wax.

Dale