"Bare Knuckle" Snowshoe Rabbit Dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

"Bare Knuckle" Snowshoe Rabbit Dubbing

Post by letumgo » Sun May 01, 2022 1:00 pm

Playing around with a new rechargeable pet trimmer. The small ceramic trimming blade makes it easy to trim the hair from the back of snowshoe rabbit feet.

This model can be taken apart for easy cleaning (simply rinse the blade end in the sink).

Closely trimming along the sides and top leaves the bottom hair ready to use for winging.

The knuckle hair makes nice spiky dubbing. I look forward to using the dubbing on flymphs and some Fran Betters patterns.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
jcwillow777

Re: "Bare Knuckle" Snowshoe Rabbit Dubbing

Post by jcwillow777 » Sun May 01, 2022 1:20 pm

Great idea!
Greg
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 pm

Awesome stuff guys! Snowshoe hair is not a material I have have had much experience with! I have watched Fran B. on YouTube and I am amazed at how easy he makes this process look (winging flies that is) with the thick and wire like Snowshoe rabbit foot fur!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 pm

So much more civilized than the method I use.

Doug, hare isn't as finicky as it looks, just show it who's boss and you're good; I love the stuff. Our hares up here tend to be a mercurial bunch; one set of feet almost never matches up with the next. An old French dude I met on the Aroostook one day, years ago, told me to soak the feet in Woolite for a day or so, rinse it, and start tying. Does it work? ...I don't know, but it sounded good.

These are wild hares, with all the appropriate vagaries in genetics that a wild population might exhibit; consistency is right out the window. Small game season here is the same as bird season, so whenever we're out shooting birds (all the time) we're shooting bunnies, too. Holler, and I'll send some feet to you come October.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu May 05, 2022 8:44 pm

Mike,
What a great offer! Yes, consider this a holler! I would like try a couple of feet to experiment with and to try the "Bare Knuckle" method mentioned above!
This is why this forum is the best in the world! We all make subtle and yet exquisite connections with each other and that is the very best way!
Thanks Mike! Your generosity is overwhelming!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:57 am

Will do; you're on the list!
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:58 pm

Mike62 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 pm So much more civilized than the method I use.

Doug, hare isn't as finicky as it looks, just show it who's boss and you're good; I love the stuff. Our hares up here tend to be a mercurial bunch; one set of feet almost never matches up with the next. An old French dude I met on the Aroostook one day, years ago, told me to soak the feet in Woolite for a day or so, rinse it, and start tying. Does it work? ...I don't know, but it sounded good.

These are wild hares, with all the appropriate vagaries in genetics that a wild population might exhibit; consistency is right out the window. Small game season here is the same as bird season, so whenever we're out shooting birds (all the time) we're shooting bunnies, too. Holler, and I'll send some feet to you come October.
Hello Mike - do you mean hare hair? 😳🤣
Fwiw, those snow shoe feet you sent me a few years back were EPIC…… I’ve never seen anything close in the fly shops or online. Thanks again, Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....