Now What?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: Now What?

Post by joaniebo » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:42 pm

RickA wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:19 pm I'll make it easy for you.
Pack it all in your MGB and I'll be down with a wad of cash when I get back from Montreal F-1 ! :D
Rick

Haven't been able to work on or start the MGB since July 2019 when we got rear ended in an accicent (not the MGB- it's still in our garage)! But to be honest, all the Rubbermaid and other storage boxes wouldn't all fit in the MGB. In the Highander, probably, but not in the MGB!

Bob
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:13 am

Bob,

Sadly, I find myself in the same boat. Since I lost my tying partner, I've sort of lost interest in tying, for now at least, and I've started wondering what will happen to all my stuff, should I pass away suddenly. The house and dog are taken care of, but all that tying stuff? I think I know some fine folks who would appreciate the quality materials I have amassed over the years.

I had hopes that the kids or grandson would take an interest. They keep talking about tying some evening, but it just never happens, so...

Ray, if I ever quit posting and a large box arrives on your doorstep, it will have instructions for distribution to members of the Brotherhood.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:26 am

Ron I'm only 36 and I think about this often. I have a pretty extensive collection but I'm sure it's nowhere near what some of yall have. My boy tied his first fly at age 2 and loves to fish so it stands to reason my sons will inherit it but you never know. My local fly shop owner knows I love vintage and obscure hooks, materials and tools so any time a guy sells or trades off his collection or a widow or ex wife comes in to get rid of stuff he always calls me first so I can go trough it. This is my absolute favorite. Not because I get pearsalls for cheap or find stuff nobody else has or anything like that. Even if it's mostly junk I just love buying materials or tools an old timer has owned before me because I feel like I can feel his/her spirit in my hands when I tie with it. Probably sounds kinda weird to say out loud but I'm the same way with vintage shotguns too. For me it's about so much more than finding good stuff for a good price.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:38 am

Bob - so this thread sort of awoke me from a deep slumber. I have so much crap it’s really astounding….. and recently I find myself in the same thought pattern.….. Believe it or not I thought to list a bunch of stuff on the auction site. 😮😵😳

My only saving grace is, my son loves to fish!!!

Hope everyone is well!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:44 pm

Theroe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:38 am Bob - so this thread sort of awoke me from a deep slumber. I have so much crap it’s really astounding….. and recently I find myself in the same thought pattern.….. Believe it or not I thought to list a bunch of stuff on the auction site. 😮😵😳

Hope everyone is well!

Dana
Dana

My son doesn't fish but he's been selling LOTS of my excess MGB and VW Beetle parts for a couple years. Now it's time to make a dent in my fishing goodies!

Just put together a bunch of things for him to sell, including dubbings, hackles, etc. I have some of the old dubbings (like Ligas and Scintilla) that I've never used and probably 20 - 30 hen skins I've also never used (never let me roam alone in Dave Robert's hackle bins!). I have some hen skins that I can't even describe like a green hackle with gold tips. I have no idea what to tie with some of these hens.

Even had some spare Hardy spools that I bought years ago and never fished. In the past 20 years or so, the addiction really got to me and now at 77, it looks like "withdrawal time!"

Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm

:evil:
joaniebo wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:44 pm
Theroe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:38 am Bob - so this thread sort of awoke me from a deep slumber. I have so much crap it’s really astounding….. and recently I find myself in the same thought pattern.….. Believe it or not I thought to list a bunch of stuff on the auction site. 😮😵😳

Hope everyone is well!

Dana
Dana

My son doesn't fish but he's been selling LOTS of my excess MGB and VW Beetle parts for a couple years. Now it's time to make a dent in my fishing goodies!

Just put together a bunch of things for him to sell, including dubbings, hackles, etc. I have some of the old dubbings (like Ligas and Scintilla) that I've never used and probably 20 - 30 hen skins I've also never used (never let me roam alone in Dave Robert's hackle bins!). I have some hen skins that I can't even describe like a green hackle with gold tips. I have no idea what to tie with some of these hens.

Even had some spare Hardy spools that I bought years ago and never fished. In the past 20 years or so, the addiction really got to me and now at 77, it looks like "withdrawal time!"

Bob
Bob - I’m looking for one package of Scintilla Light hares ear. If you have that color and would be willing to part with it I would pay you fairly…… Honest to God it’s not for me it’s for a friend of mine!
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:39 am

Dana

Sorry, no light hare's ear. Seems like most of the extra dubbings I've gathered over the years have been dyed / darker colors as (in the past), I've often used light / dark Hareline hare's ear and / or picked the fur off of several masks.

Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:54 pm

Thanks, Bob……
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:50 am

Joanie do u still have the hen hackles for sale?
JohnMD1022

Post by JohnMD1022 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:24 pm

Re: Books

I also have a plethora of books.

Between the fishing books, many collectible,
(3 first edition “Modern Dry Fly Code” with dust jacket, plus one recovered in leather, inscribed to me), the hunting, gun and bird dog books, it runs well over 1000.

I am considering offering the entire lot to our local university as a special collection.

It is a viable solution and others have done this.

(Ray.. could you please my earlier post in this thread? It was a finger slip and I couldn’t figure out how to delete it. Thx)
"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach