Now What?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Now What?

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 pm

What is an OLD guy to do when his fishing days are becoming less frequent and he has (literally, close to or more than) a hundred bird skins, wings, various loose hackles, thousands of hooks and even more finished flies worth quite a few thousands of dollars?

Selling on auction sites would mean quite a loss on the materials and having to pay Federal excisee taxes on the tied flies. Even worse, some of the auction site buyers probably wouldn't appreciate the quality and / or scarcity of the materials or tied flies. A big problem, eh?

Something for you younger people to ponder as you age and keep accumulatig "stuff" !

Bob
Fishnkilts

Re: Now What?

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:07 pm

For the flies I'd donate to an organization like Project Healing Waters. They could always use the flies.

The fly tying materials and hooks, I'd see if there's a youngster near by who wants to learn to tie flies and give it to him or her.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:27 pm

I was recently thinking the same thing about the 800 odd books I have on flytying and flyfishing…. 3/4 of them are not worth anything except to me…
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:44 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:07 pm For the flies I'd donate to an organization like Project Healing Waters. They could always use the flies.

The fly tying materials and hooks, I'd see if there's a youngster near by who wants to learn to tie flies and give it to him or her.
Thanks but I don't think many new fly fishers would appreciate the time and mateials used in tying many hundreds / thousands of North Country Spiders and soft hackles and most new fly tiers would know what to do with aa couple thousand $ of hen capes, snipe, woodcock, etc. know what to do with them.

Bob
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Johnno wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:27 pm I was recently thinking the same thing about the 800 odd books I have on flytying and flyfishing…. 3/4 of them are not worth anything except to me…
johnno

I don't have anywhere near 800 books but those I have are probaby worth a bunch too and I haven't even considered what to do with the fly tying books !

Bob
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:00 pm

You could create a trust and appoint a trustee to distribute flies and materials to fly tyers and fly fishers of the trustee's selection based on criteria you establish. Others could add to the same trust. You could also authorize the trustee to sell flies and materials for the benefit of persons you name as well. Just a thought.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:04 pm

I hope this isn't rude of me but would you consider selling any of it?
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 pm

chugbug wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:00 pm You could create a trust and appoint a trustee to distribute flies and materials to fly tyers and fly fishers of the trustee's selection based on criteria you establish. Others could add to the same trust. You could also authorize the trustee to sell flies and materials for the benefit of persons you name as well. Just a thought.
This is a fantastic idea.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:57 pm

With all the materials you are mentioning, I'd love to see your collection.
I can now understand your issue. You must have enough materials and flies to start your own museum.
RickA

Post by RickA » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:19 pm

I'll make it easy for you.
Pack it all in your MGB and I'll be down with a wad of cash when I get back from Montreal F-1 ! :D