Going Out of Business

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Going Out of Business

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:20 pm

Wayne,

I appreciate the heads-up. I wasn't really thinking about ordering hooks, but--like others have said--I will stock up since this source will be gone. Ordered hooks and beads Saturday morning; they were already shipped by Saturday afternoon. Great customer service and unbeatable prices!

I wish him well and hope he enjoys his upcoming retirement.

Thanks- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:27 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:20 pm Wayne,

I appreciate the heads-up. I wasn't really thinking about ordering hooks, but--like others have said--I will stock up since this source will be gone. Ordered hooks and beads Saturday morning; they were already shipped by Saturday afternoon. Great customer service and unbeatable prices!

Thanks- Ken
Ken, I found a place that can compete with those prices. A buddy of mine ordered some.

We will see about the quality next.

https://eggmanflies.com/collections/koreasun-hooks
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:39 pm

Since putting in an order for 1400 I should be good for a while.

Gonna try Sabre hooks next time. Heard good things about them. Same price, free shipping over $45. Just have to order more at a time.
Greg
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:53 am

joaniebo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:20 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:48 am I don't like seeing places like these close. It would be nice if someone bought the business and kept it going.

But it says he is retiring, and sadly some families have kids that want nothing to do with the business to keep it going. That's why Cabela's sold to Bass Pro.

I'd like to see one paycheck that Johnny Morris gets.
Cabelas was a publicly owned company when the majority of its stock was purchased by Bass Pro and a venture capitalist!
Thank you for the info. I kept hearing over and over that the owner of Cabela's wanted his kids to take it over and they didn't want to.

letumgo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:33 pm In my personal opinion, Cabela's has "gone down hill" since Bass Pro took over. Our local store used to have a very well supplied fly tying section when they first opened. Unfortunately that lead to completion with our local fly shop (Oak Orchard) and eventually dove them out of business. Once Bass Pro took over and local competitor was gone, the fly tying section in Cabelas dwindled to a shadow of it's first couple years.
Same here too. I actually went there yesterday to make a payment on my card and went to the fly fishing area and was once again let down. They have all the thread and tinsel on a wall all mixed in with each other. It's like a treasure hunt without the treasure.
And don't expect any help. You have to bulldog someone and get them in a headlock to help you because the staff just stands around and talks all day. And I will never go back to Bass Pro because of customer service I got. Never tell a customer to hurry up and choose a reel. I walked out if there so fast the manager was chasing me down trying to get me to come back in.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:58 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:20 pm Wayne,

It gets even better. The hooks and beads I ordered on Saturday morning that were shipped on Saturday afternoon, already arrived in Oklahoma today! Perhaps, I should buy a Powerball ticket!

Thanks- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:21 pm

I am going to miss this little note in every order.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 pm

Wayne, that's awesome. I deal with a couple of small companies who still send a hand-written 'Thank You', with every order; makes me want to support them even more. As for Cabela's... not so much. Back in the day, they were a wonderful company; quality, customer service, the whole nine yards. Now, you've got Bass Pro; what a joke. I wrote Cabela's off long ago. What a shame.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:00 pm

I checked his site a few months ago and he was out of the #2 size 14 hooks that I use the most. He was out of most sizes. Well, I just put a other order in for 1200 #2 size 14 hooks. I should be set for quite a while.

You might wanna check his site out.
Greg
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:02 pm

Mike62 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 pm Wayne, that's awesome. I deal with a couple of small companies who still send a hand-written 'Thank You', with every order; makes me want to support them even more. As for Cabela's... not so much. Back in the day, they were a wonderful company; quality, customer service, the whole nine yards. Now, you've got Bass Pro; what a joke. I wrote Cabela's off long ago. What a shame.
Agreed. When BassPro bought out Cabela's their fly shop went down the tubes.
Greg
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:40 am

Howdy All;

Sorry to see the notice Wayne posted .

The Bass Pro/Cabela's conversation reminded me of the K-Mart/Wal Mart
war. With the later, You almost had to fight your way past the Blue Vests
and needed to hunt for the Red Vests and Blue Vests won. After they won
they just rolled back on their heels and developed callouses on their butts.
Same has Happened with the Bass v Cab's. They had the needed competition
and once there was a 'winner' declared they just shuffle-butt along. Where
else ya gonna go??? That's my 2 pennies worth.

hank
Last edited by hankaye on Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin