Washing bird skins

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RickA

Washing bird skins

Post by RickA » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:35 am

I have an entire female Gambles quail skin that needs some attention.
It's a little greasy and some of the feathers are "matted" and don't flair evenly when wrapped around a hook.
The marginal coverts, both upper and lower have some hard crusty gunk left over from skinning and drying.
Point being, it needs a bath. I have washed a fair number of capes and saddles but never a full bird.
It's easy to dry a flat skin and have it come out nice but with a head, wings, tail, and legs still attached
I don't want to mess up a skin filled with borax. I did a woodcock last year but I broke it down before doing so.
Should I do the same or does anyone have a trick to share?
Rick
DOUGSDEN

Re: Washing bird skins

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:51 pm

Gosh Rick, I dunno! Did you say it has been "Boraxed"? I am not sure what this will do to the feathers if you try and wash the skin in warm water. The Borax may actually clean the feathers or damage them.....I just don't know! Does anyone else have any practical advice for Rick?
I'm sorry I couldn't offer you more on this one! A very good question though!
D.
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:47 am

Howdy All;

I wouldn't be to worried about the Borax to much, a quick search found this;
https://www.thespruce.com/uses-for-borax-1388126

Also, Borax is used as a drying agent for hides World wide.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tworod

Post by tworod » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:23 pm

Wash the bird the same way as preparing it for dying. Dawn will do the job. You will want to wash in lukewarm water and place between paper towels or newspaper to dry. Use your fingers to get at the tough spots.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:52 pm

To get the grease out, the water needs to be hot, Then not let it cool too much so the grease will rinse away.
Flytepath

Post by Flytepath » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:18 pm

I have soaked full capes in warm, not hot, water with Ivory liquid soap for a few hours. Swished them around a couple times during that time and rinsed. Laid them out on newspaper to dry, then blow dry on warm to make sure under feathers are dry. It makes the feathers shine and seems tie better. I do this with other skins given to me after I dried them out with borax and rubbed off any remaining fat.