Organized Plucking?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chugbug

Re: Organized Plucking?

Post by chugbug » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:06 pm

Mr Bailey comes through! That's fantastic. What are the dark square-shaped parts at the top? The round topped parts at the side? I assume those are glassines in the middle? Could you elaborate on the show & tell? I'm over the moon
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:53 pm

From the numbering on the wood box, I am assuming the black square things are hook boxes (000, 00, 0, 1, 2 etc). The envelopes look more like cardboard or pasteboard dividers, though there may be glassines between them. Glassine envelopes I've used for holding photographic negatives were very thin and almost transparent.

The thing that caught my eye was the number of scissors and hackle pliers, even what may be a set of dividers for measuring slip wings. There's no bobbin holders. Was the fly tyer tying in hand, or were his bobbin holders and possibly a vise in another box? Hmmmmm?

Very cool piece of history there, William, very cool indeed.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:01 pm

Ah, yes, I didn't see the numbering. Must be hooks. On the side I'm thinking dubbing fur, and maybe in the middle it's folded up wax paper holding the feathers? I saw one labelled for guinea and thought maybe old crumply glassiness, but you're right they look thick for that.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:29 am

Ron, I believe you are correct about the hooks but none of the pictures show them. BTW, I borrowed the photos off of FB. Under the boxes is a set of Crawshaw’s dyes, The colors originated with Halford who wrote extensively about dyes and color. Crawshaw’s was eventually bought by Veniard who still sell the dyes. I wish they would bring back red spinner color.
IMG_0466.jpeg
IMG_0466.jpeg (750.78 KiB) Viewed 25959 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:32 pm

Some hackle storage tips from Robert Smith

https://theslidingstream.net/fly-tying- ... treasures/
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:46 pm

I usually plucked out of anger. I hate roosters, I really do. The bastards come at you when you aren't looking and they can do some damage. Most of the time, I'd get nailed, stop the bleeding, and then turn around and punt the SOB across the yard. When I'd had enough of one of them, I'd bring out the ol' Colt .22 six shooter and have me some target practice. When the smoke had cleared, I'd grab the bird and go to town on the feathers. I stored them in sandwich bags according to size and quality. The rest of him becomes coyote bait.

Gawd, I hate roosters almost as much as I hate dams.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:58 pm

Mike,
You make me laugh friend! It really brightened my day to read your thread because every word you wrote was true! Walt Dette once made the statement (not a direct quote) that chickens are the dirtiest, stupid creatures.....I don't think he liked raising them at all but, it was a most necessary thing for him to do at the time!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:06 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:58 pm Mike,
You make me laugh friend! It really brightened my day to read your thread because every word you wrote was true! Walt Dette once made the statement (not a direct quote) that chickens are the dirtiest, stupid creatures.....I don't think he liked raising them at all but, it was a most necessary thing for him to do at the time!
Doug
I've missed your voice!