Take a Look @ Magpie Materials

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Take a Look @ Magpie Materials

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:05 pm

Has anyone checked out this site: https://magpiematerials.com/

This site belongs to Stephen Hankins. You may know him on the Flymph Forum as "Hankinsfly". Participated in several fly swaps, but hasn't been active lately. Of course, he is busy with his day job, is working on his master's degree, and has started what he calls his "side hustle" Magpie Materials. He has a wife too. He lives about 25 minutes west of me, right off I-40 in Yukon, OK.

Charlie Craven calls his turkey biots and fine beaver dubbing: "The best I've ever seen"! He also carries some Magpie Materials on his own web site.

I bought a few items and have started tying some flies.
DSC02538.JPG
DSC02538.JPG (288.2 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Here is a simple wingless wet using the fine beaver dubbing and 72 denier thread.
DSC02562.JPG
DSC02562.JPG (111.41 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Here is a caddis using the squirrel dubbing for the thorax (split thread) and the 110 denier thread.
DSC02560.JPG
DSC02560.JPG (106.46 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Stephen is slowly adding materials (different types of deer hair and Rhode Island Red hackle). Check it out because who really already has all the tying material he needs?

Tight Lines- Ken
DOUGSDEN

Re: Take a Look @ Magpie Materials

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:54 am

Ken,
Thanks for the heads up on this new vendor who is one of our own! I will check this out soon!
Your patterns above look super! I really like the muskrat! And, your comment at the end of your thread...."Who really has enough tying materials?" I like that statement! It brings forth the reality that we all are constantly on the hunt and collecting quality materials! My wife does not see the logic or the need in this! We differ on a lot of crucial points in life and this is definitely one of them!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Partsman

Post by Partsman » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:23 pm

Nice site, I enjoyed his videos. Thanks for posting!
Mike.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:47 am

"He has a wife too". lol. Now that IS a time consumer.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:25 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:05 pm Has anyone checked out this site: https://magpiematerials.com/

This site belongs to Stephen Hankins. You may know him on the Flymph Forum as "Hankinsfly". Participated in several fly swaps, but hasn't been active lately. Of course, he is busy with his day job, is working on his master's degree, and has started what he calls his "side hustle" Magpie Materials. He has a wife too. He lives about 25 minutes west of me, right off I-40 in Yukon, OK.

Charlie Craven calls his turkey biots and fine beaver dubbing: "The best I've ever seen"! He also carries some Magpie Materials on his own web site.

I bought a few items and have started tying some flies.

DSC02538.JPG

Here is a simple wingless wet using the fine beaver dubbing and 72 denier thread.

DSC02562.JPG

Here is a caddis using the squirrel dubbing for the thorax (split thread) and the 110 denier thread.

DSC02560.JPG

Stephen is slowly adding materials (different types of deer hair and Rhode Island Red hackle). Check it out because who really already has all the tying material he needs?

Tight Lines- Ken
Ken, thank you for the samples of Magpie products. One of my favorite tyers and owner of my favorite flyshops, Charlie Craven is carrying Magpie Products. Here is a link to his promotion of the product.

https://youtube.com/shorts/L3sK5fnaCeo? ... hd8npuaabh