Pritt Interactive - Cub Down Bloa (No. 54)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Pritt Interactive - Cub Down Bloa (No. 54)

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm

These photos are just fine, W. Thank you for passing on the informative comparison shot, as well as the water vole image.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 pm

William - Thank you for the reference photos. I've downloaded them to my iPad, since this is the best comparison shots I have seen. (hope you don't mind). I am surprised at the shade of dark dun of the under fur of the water vole. Interesting. Have you tried tying with the vole yet? When you do, could you the wet the fly, to see how much it darkens.

I'm thinking a blend of muskrat under fur, and black mole fur would be a fairly close match for the vole.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Now that is quite helpful. Looks like I need to go sifting through the dubbing bags again.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 am

I haven't fooled around with the vole at the bench yet. I did get a good look at a nice piece of water rat when visiting with John Shaner at the show this weekend. To my eye, the coloration and texture were very similar to the vole, but less than half the staple length. That's my impression.

The only thing I really wanted at the show was a number of fur patches, mostly variations of red fox, beaver and anything else that looked interesting. I no doubt walked out of that building having spent the least of anyone else I saw. In my search, I did find a beaver patch that was very dark in the underfur, more like a dark muskrat than any beaver patch I've seen before. It's a much easier game to play match the hatch with insects and blend materials to achieve a certain effect, than it is to try to understand historic references to patterns and guess as to the age of the species, the area the patch should come from and the season the species was harvested. There are so many variables, it seems the more you know, the more you don't.

It's fun though.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 pm

William Anderson wrote:There are so many variables, it seems the more you know, the more you don't.

It's fun though.

w
I could not agree more.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:48 am

Moving this old post to the new "Soft Hackle Materials" subforum. Old example of interactive discussion of rare materials, and suitable substitutes.

Also cross referencing a tutorial about Water Vole substitute:

LINK TO TUTORIAL ---> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7022
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean