Picric Dyed Mole Skin

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

SenecaLaker

Re: Picric Dyed Mole Skin

Post by SenecaLaker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Great fly Phil!!!
I have a question for you or any of you guys who may be able to help. I was curious to know what it is about the fly that makes you want to tie it on or the trout want to eat it when BWO are present. The only thing I can find or have witnessed myself that is red are the eyes on a BWO or the body of the nymph at times will have a somewhat copper color cast to them. Quite possibly, it is the "Red and White" that triggers responses from trout as it does with most other game fish. Just curious to others thoughts.

Dave
PhilA

Re: Picric Dyed Mole Skin

Post by PhilA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Dave,
I'm not enough of a trout to understand thoroughly what makes an artificial fly attractive. I'm often surprised how *unlike* the naturals some very effective artificials can be.

My use of the Iron Blue during times of BWO emergences (spring and fall) comes from fishing experiences. I undoubtedly tied on the first Iron Blue years ago due to my respect for the fishing insights of G.E.M. Skues, who recommended the Iron Blue during Baetis hatches. I learned a lot reading Skues' great book The Way of a Trout With a Fly (and others).

Whether it's the white tail contrasting with the thread tag, I don't know. Regarding the color of the "red" tag, however, its underwater color is not bright red. Silk threads darken when wet, often a lot. Here is a photo of crimson (#13) Pearsall's Gossamer silk when dry (left) and wet (right).

The wet color is a very deep blood red. Of course, the white tail still contrasts with the thread tag. But, it's white vs. deep maroon. Is that the trigger? I don't know, but most BWO nymphs are very dark in color, as is the whole Iron Blue Nymph when wet.
Last edited by PhilA on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.