Where to buy soft hackle bird skins

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Where to buy soft hackle bird skins

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 am

Outside of Cookshill, the domestic source for European game bird skins and parts with which I am most familiar is Veniard, an English company that packages a relatively wide selection. They have three authorized USA distributors:

Performance Flies (www.performanceflies.com)
Tennessee Traditional Flies (www.tennesseetraditionalflies.com)
Great Feathers Fly Shop (www.greatfeathers.com)

I'm with WiFlyfisher on Collins being the top broad line hen feather supplier, but there are also several smaller breeders who raise superior birds. Forum member Narcodog has developed relationships with several of these over the years, so perhaps he can chime in here with contact information.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am

To my knowledge, Cookshill Fly Tying Materials in England offers the widest range of game bird skins and parts of any supplier, and, in my experience, their products are consistently of the highest quality. Owner/operator Steve gives personal attention to each customer that contacts him and maintains an active waiting list if you are looking for something not currently in stock.

Email: cookshillft@aol.com
Telephone: 0044 (0) 1782 388382
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 am

tie2fish wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am To my knowledge, Cookshill Fly Tying Materials in England offers the widest range of game bird skins and parts of any supplier, and, in my experience, their products are consistently of the highest quality. Owner/operator Steve gives personal attention to each customer that contacts him and maintains an active waiting list if you are looking for something not currently in stock.

Email: cookshillft@aol.com
Telephone: 0044 (0) 1782 388382
Bill, this is exactly right in my experience.

Competitive Angler carries Cookshill and I like to support a stateside fly shop, but I've ordered from Steve directly several times as well.

I also really like Whiting's Brahma Hen Saddles, especially the March Brown shade.

Charlie Collins' hen capes are prized possessions.

Here's one I found a few years ago and have been hoarding. Krosch Hackle Farm has hen capes that I find to be incredible useful. They aren't expensive, so I don't mind buying them online. Some have more glassy tips and others are much webbier and they are all a pleasure to use. I honestly have about 30 of these capes. I think his name is Scott. I really don't know much about his operation and I think his selection is very limited but they show up in my eBay account and when I see one that looks right I grab it.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 pm

I use Lakeland Supply in the U.K. for a lot of materials. Coq De Leon hen and rooster, and some great mole skins.

Jim at Campfire Lodge for some 4B and Brahma

J Stockard for a variety of hen hackles.

I am fortunate to live close to Charlie's Fly Shop here on the front range of Colorado. His is a candy store for all manner of hackles and game bird skins.

For the record, I would pick a Whiting hen cape over a Collins every day of the year.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:07 am

90% of my wet fly trout tying is utilizing partridge, hen cape and starling in various colors for hackle. I have most of the legal exotic/traditional hackle but it has lasted me for years and I still have some years left on the skins I have. Funny thing is I haven't ordered any of the traditional skins I have. I just came across them through trades, shows, browsing a shop or a stop at Jim's on my way through. I love sitting down and being able to tie a traditional pattern if I desire, but they certainly are not something I fill my boxes with. I like to say I love tradition, but I'm not stuck in it. That being said most of my hackle I can source from just about anywhere. Most of my favorite sources have dried up or retired recently. I like to browse hackle from Feather Emporium. Aaron Astoj (one of the best hackle dyers) has some interesting things every now and then in his catalog. Clearwater Hackle (which used to be Conranch Hackle) has great Juvenile Hen skins for small hen hackle. They are supposedly old Darbee stock birds. I just visited though since writing this post and looks like they are out of stock of all JV hackle. Not sure if they are also retiring or if they are just sold out until a new season. I also am a fan of Whiting hen capes, especially for flymphs.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com