Ash colored silk

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Ash colored silk

Post by Old Hat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am

I have never used any Pearsall's ash silk. Just never really had a need for it. I have always waxed grey with a dark cobbler's wax to get a close enough match. But, for my project of tying all published flymphs and adding them to my website, I would like to use some actual ash silk. There are 4 patterns that list ash silk as the tying color.

So my rather bold request...would anyone be willing to part with a small amount of ash silk. Just enough to tie 4 flies? I'm sure we could work out a trade for something.

I've searched all over and can't find any. As suspected. I did come across this nice photo in a forum which compares YLI 100 Pinky Brown #242 (top) and Langely's smoke #10 (left) to Pearsall's ash (right) for a nice reference.
IMGP0952.jpg
IMGP0952.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Ash colored silk

Post by letumgo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:11 am

Carl - I have a spool of ash Pearsall’s and will send you some. I also found a nice sub at Jo Anne’s. Let me see if I can find it among my stuff.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 am

Old Hat wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am I have never used any Pearsall's ash silk. Just never really had a need for it. I have always waxed grey with a dark cobbler's wax to get a close enough match. But, for my project of tying all published flymphs and adding them to my website, I would like to use some actual ash silk. There are 4 patterns that list ash silk as the tying color.

So my rather bold request...would anyone be willing to part with a small amount of ash silk. Just enough to tie 4 flies? I'm sure we could work out a trade for something.

I've searched all over and can't find any. As suspected. I did come across this nice photo in a forum which compares YLI 100 Pinky Brown #242 (top) and Langely's smoke #10 (left) to Pearsall's ash (right) for a nice reference.

IMGP0952.jpg
It could be the lighting, but the Pearsall's silk in the above photo does not look like #10 ash to me; it looks more like #16 Olive. See chart below (Fourth Row) ...

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:42 am

tie2fish wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 am
Old Hat wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am I have never used any Pearsall's ash silk. Just never really had a need for it. I have always waxed grey with a dark cobbler's wax to get a close enough match. But, for my project of tying all published flymphs and adding them to my website, I would like to use some actual ash silk. There are 4 patterns that list ash silk as the tying color.

IMGP0952.jpg
It could be the lighting, but the Pearsall's silk in the above photo does not look like #10 ash to me; it looks more like #16 Olive. See chart below (Fourth Row) ...

Yeah, I think it is the just the lighting Bill. Its always hard to compare from different photos. The lighting can really change colors.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:45 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:11 am Carl - I have a spool of ash Pearsall’s and will send you some. I also found a nice sub at Jo Anne’s. Let me see if I can find it among my stuff.
Thanks a bunch Ray. I really appreciate it.
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:15 pm

I just. Checked and I could use some too. Ash colored!!!
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:06 pm

I could use some ash as well....................everybody needs a little ash every now and then :o
Soft and wet - the only way....
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm

I have a few spools of ash and each one is a slightly different, depending on the age, but it's unique enough to clearly be ash. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com