European Blue Jay - Reference Photo

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

European Blue Jay - Reference Photo

Post by letumgo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:03 am

Many years ago, I bought a European Blue Jay skin (sorry - I no longer remember the source). My intent was to use the bright blue barred feathers for tying Classic winged wets. However, as I looked at feathers on the back and neck feathers, I am convinced that they would make lovely hackle on wingless wet flies.

The color of the back feathers is hard to describe. They are sort of a tan/dun with a pink cast. When you look closely at the feathers, they have a light barring as well. I think these feathers would be very nice on a wet fly.

Has anyone every used European Jay feathers as hackle? Do you know of any classic fly patterns which use this hackle?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Re: European Blue Jay - Reference Photo

Post by daringduffer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:31 am

Very good reference photos. I know that the hackles you speak of are recommended as substitutes but cannot remember who or for what. This is what a search turned up with:
Stewarts Red Spider

A borders fly that works very well mid season for trout on the river. The original used Landrail for the hackle. A few substitutes are available but I have found the lightly barred rusty red feather from the lesser coverts of a blue jay wing are an excellent alternative.

Hook: 14-16 Dry fly

Thread: Well waxed Yellow silk

Body: Silk as above

Hackle: Rusty red barred feather from a Jay wing

Found it here: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-d ... flies.html

It might have been Roger Fogg as my initial source, and landrail as original hackle - cannot remember right now. Use plenty salt!!

dd

(Edit: Roger Fogg recommends dyed starling as sub for landrail and dotterel).
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 am

Stefan,

You sure know your way around the internet, when it comes to soft hackle/wingless wet flies. Thank you for sharing the link. I looked over the many other patterns in the article and plan to copy a few over the winter.

I was glad to see mention of the barring of the jay feathers. It is really subtle. Wasn’t sure that others had noticed it.

After doing a little searching the web yesterday, I think my skin is from a Eurasian Jay.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:34 pm

A couple years ago, I got a small package of blue jay geathers fromCookshill. I think that Steve Cooper might still have them on his site.