Pearsalls Color Chart

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Pearsalls Color Chart

Post by Old Hat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm

driftless wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:50 am I've been searching for silks to substitute Pearsall's colors, too.

One I've found that is a VERY close sub for 6B Sherry Spinner is Kimono Silk thread #370 Teriyaki.

Take a look at it on line & see what you think.

Paul
You are spot on Paul. I selected that as well for the best 6B substitute. I should have a good Kimono list up very soon. The Kimono #367 is also a great match sub for Ash.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
driftless

Post by driftless » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks Rob, very revealing.

Here we've been working hard attempting to "match" Pearsall's original colors & they haven't even been doing it themselves.

Close enough is good enough, even in Horseshoes & Hand Grenades … and Pearsall's colors. ;)
BrooksnBrowns

Post by BrooksnBrowns » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Langley Superfine Silk? Is it Pearsall’s under a different name or different altogether?

I have a spool with the color code LT1423. Looks like Primrose to me.

Thanks
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am A question I often wanted to ask.... Why didn't Pearsall ever want to put the color number on each spool?

That certainly would have made things easier.

John
Good morning everyone

Yes I realize this is a late response to John’s question, however: I was in a thread shop in New York City last week which sold a brand of cotton thread sold in similar packaging to Pearsalls - I asked the shop owner why they didn’t label the individual spools of thread. Her answer to me was “most people that sew a lot purchase thread by the box. If you buy a single bobbin / spool YOU are supposed to remember the name of the color after it came out of the box!

That makes sense to me 😳

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
tworod

Post by tworod » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:20 am

Here is a link to a photo from another site showing the different shades of Pearsall's #19 over the years.
There is also a comment that it was virtually impossible for textile manufacturers to produce consistent colors in the past. This is the reason most textile products identified a batch number. Each batch had a different shading.
All to the point that the exact coloring made little difference then and, therefore, now.

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=63C6086B