Pearsalls Color Chart

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Pearsalls Color Chart

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:38 pm

bb, many of my late aquisitions from EMTE/Flyhookfiller came in those plastic tubes that were marked with number on an oval 'sticker' that had a tendency to fall off. No big deal since there were differently coloured spools in the tube ;) .

William,
BTW, if you ever get the chance to hear Rob Smith go on and on about the silk industry in the North Country over the centuries, it's very compelling. As John said, it makes the nuances of silk shades irrelevant and highly important at the same time.
This was very well put. Since fly fishing isn't about catching fish but about wisely spending time until we end up six feet under, making the time worthwile, no detail is too small to ponder. Whether irrelevant or important, you just take your pick. You can even make it important today and irrelevant next week, when you have run out of number 8, purple. (Do you remember that Otter tied his Black Spiders with purple silk late in his forum carreer and thought it was an improvement. Blasphemy?).

dd
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:00 pm

bb, welcome back! Hope all is well today.

You mean this... :)
Attachments
Pearsalls-Gossamer-Hot-Orange.jpg
Pearsalls-Gossamer-Hot-Orange.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 pm

DSC00924.JPG
DSC00924.JPG (274.6 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Yellow Pearsalls Box. Notice the lift tab to make it easier to remove the spools from the box. (Yes, it's a full box of 6b.......)
RobSmith1964

Post by RobSmith1964 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:40 pm

There is a book called The Silk Industry by Frank Warner, which is an interesting read for anyone with an eye for the story of silk production in the UK. Although, the real insight comes when you search for Samuel Cunliffe-Lister within this publication. Cunliffe-Lister became a billionaire by taking the waste products of silk production, and reprocessing into pure new silk at a huge reduction in cost. Cunliffe-Lister is at the epicentre of events. The American Civil War, and the blockade of confederate ports means Britain can no-longer get cotton. The famous cotton mills of Lancashire are at a stand-still, and the British government is relaxing the tariffs on silk imports and production. At the very same time Cunliffe-Lister invents his silk machine and takes the world by storm, building the worlds largest silk mill in Bradford. He also buys lands in Indian to propagate his silk worms, silk embroidery mills in Germany and France, as well as Lace production facilities in France. He becomes so rich that in the 1880’s he buys four country estates in Yorkshire, for fifteen million pounds!
What has all this got to do with Pearsalls? Well, when Pearsalls were taken over in the mid-1800’s, the new owners operated a retail business not a manufacturing business. They imported their embroidery silks from Germany, as well as gut sutures from Murcia in Spain, simply rebranding them and selling on. The Lister company was the worlds largest silk manufacturer and a supplier to Pearsalls. Later, in the late sixties, when the Lister company ceases silk production, Pearsall’s silk shades subtly change. Is this this because they have changed supplier? I will leave you guys to ponder.
Attachments
lister-silk.jpg
lister-silk.jpg (197.32 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 pm

bearbutt wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:07 pm
Greenwell wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:51 pm

The packaging changed too, first small cardboard boxes of several different types, then plastic covered boxes. Plastic tubes were used for a while also in the 1990's.
This is a terrific thread--and it's about time I started sharing some stuff with everyone here.

John's right, the packaging changed--these green boxes were used for a while, though I dont have the years for them:

The plastic tubes that Wisconsin John showed earlier in the thread are also important. Mine aren't lebeled, but I think John has some that are?

Happy to join you guys,
bb
Joe - welcome! Great to hear from you, and have you with us!
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm

I'm envious of all you folks who have done this so much longer than have I... I didn't even know Pearsalls' existed until after they stopped making it and therefore I'll not have collections of these beautiful silk threads....However,... close your ears you purists... but I'm taking White Pearsall's, which I can find, and coloring them nicely with permanent markers....I know, I'm doomed to purgatory... but one has to do what one has to do...
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:16 am

ronr wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm
I'm envious of all you folks who have done this so much longer than have I... I didn't even know Pearsalls' existed until after they stopped making it and therefore I'll not have collections of these beautiful silk threads....However,... close your ears you purists... but I'm taking White Pearsall's, which I can find, and coloring them nicely with permanent markers....I know, I'm doomed to purgatory... but one has to do what one has to do...
I've got to hoard permanent markers now. Which ones are kosher?

dd

(You are clever, ronr).
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:22 am

ronr, remember the trout are the final judge and they are not looking what brand of silk you are using. I am not a hoarder of Pearsall's silk either. Besides, I am out of room. I acquired most of mine more recently from Sweden thanks to DD.

I really enjoy the history of the sport and Pearsall's is part of that history.

John
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 am

I'm another that enjoys the history behind the Pearsall's and enjoys tying with a bit of that history. I haven't stocked up over the years. It's not in my nature. Certainly the fish will not mind and I doubt they notice which shade of yellow a fly is. There are other silk options, no they are not Pearsall's, but should serve the purpose. In fact, that reminds me, I need to get my Art of the Tying the Wet Fly rebound, it's starting to come apart from all the use and it's the only one I have.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am

my earlier comments are certainly with tongue firmly in cheek....I do find I really like tying with the Pearsall's Gossamer and I greatly appreciate the history and those dedicated to preserving it.I do tie for the pleasure of the process but mostly for fooling the fish.