Doug Does Dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Doug Does Dubbing

Post by hankaye » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41 pm

Bazzer69, Howdy;
Bazzer69 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm
ronr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 am Doug... do you use a dubbing rake when trying to remove just a small amount of dubbing from a hide or do you just clip it off with scissors....if using a rake.. what brand?
The best dubbin rake was a ceramic one that came from Lawrence Waldron, I had one but my ex wife took care of it. I’ve never seen it again. I would love to buy another but I’ve looked and looked and haven’t been able to find one. Some people use a small section of hacksaw blade, I haven’t tried it but it probably works.
Apparently they do show up every once in awhile.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132657884905?rmvSB=true

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Doug - I did not fix the pics. John must’ve fixed them. (Thanks John) ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 am

DOUGSDEN wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:12 pm A lot of beauty can be had when you ...(do it)... just right!
Dougsden
I faked your reply a bit. You are too modest. We have seen quite a few of your flies. In Sweden we have a saying "att sätta sitt ljus under en skäppa". You are a perfect example of what that means.

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

daringduffer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 am
DOUGSDEN wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:12 pm A lot of beauty can be had when you ...(do it)... just right!
Dougsden
I faked your reply a bit. You are too modest. We have seen quite a few of your flies. In Sweden we have a saying "att sätta sitt ljus under en skäppa". You are a perfect example of what that means.

dd
I have asked Doug frequently to not hide his candle, but he persists. :)
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 pm

hankaye wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41 pm Bazzer69, Howdy;
Bazzer69 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm
ronr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 am Doug... do you use a dubbing rake when trying to remove just a small amount of dubbing from a hide or do you just clip it off with scissors....if using a rake.. what brand?
The best dubbin rake was a ceramic one that came from Lawrence Waldron, I had one but my ex wife took care of it. I’ve never seen it again. I would love to buy another but I’ve looked and looked and haven’t been able to find one. Some people use a small section of hacksaw blade, I haven’t tried it but it probably works.
Apparently they do show up every once in awhile.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132657884905?rmvSB=true

hank
Oh my! It’s up to £71, say $100 ! I can’t believe it. I bought the one my ex destroyed for around $25.
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 pm

Yep... for a $100 bucks, I'll just hack it off with scissors, or I may try the hacksaw blade...if a good one cost a hundred.. what good can a $3 one be....

I do have some patches of various furs I bought at a grab bag at an IFF show... there is some mink, beaver, otter, and other furs I can't identify...some appear to have been cut off of some form of clothing, such as an old mink stole...

I've been experimenting with my coffee grinder and mixing small batches with materials like sparkle yarn, ala, Gary LaFontaine. I'm sure the otter, beaver, and mink underfurs make good dubbing, but other than hare's mask, squirrel, and rabbit... what other furs should I be thinking of using. and what materials should I be blending in...
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 am

ronr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 pm
I've been experimenting with my coffee grinder and mixing small batches with materials like sparkle yarn, ala, Gary LaFontaine. I'm sure the otter, beaver, and mink underfurs make good dubbing, but other than hare's mask, squirrel, and rabbit... what other furs should I be thinking of using. and what materials should I be blending in...
Many of the tiers I know use red fox fur quite a bit ... mostly the light, creamy stuff. Australian possum is handy too, while others often use pine squirrel.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 am

tie2fish wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 am
ronr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 pm
Many of the tiers I know use red fox fur quite a bit ... mostly the light, creamy stuff. Australian possum is handy too, while others often use pine squirrel.
Australian possum underfur is extremely useful as binder in a dubbing blend. You can also find shades that can sub the lemon spaniel in your tup's dubbing mix.

dd