Primrose Silk Comparison

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

REE04419

Re: Primrose Silk Comparison

Post by REE04419 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:17 am

The Semper Fli Pure Silks that Bill posted are for sale at a few places in the US. Average price is $5.25 to $5.50 a spool. May have to try a few just to see what it's like. Colors seem to be close to Pearsall's.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:33 am

The SemperFli pure silk is very thick. This I do know. I think it is better tied like silk floss.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:00 am

It sounds like Semperfli didn't put in the effort they claim. They obviously had the resources to know what was required.
RobSmith1964

Post by RobSmith1964 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 pm

Without wishing to pour petrol on fire. I have a past experience with the people who run Semperfli, and can categorically state that their marketing information regarding their silks matching the original silks found in Edmonds & Lee is nothing more than total B/S.
It is impossible to accurately replicate the original silk shades found in E&L publication based on a photograph of painted silk shades taken in 1915, and printed in a rather basic colour set-up. Having been given a few spools of the Semperfli silk some time ago. I can only say it was a waste of a spool!
One only has to take a closer read of the marketing bumph to realise they have no knowledge of Edmonds & Lee’s publication. There is no #4 Danica Primrose in the colour chart found in Edmunds and Lee, and both editions were published simultaneously and not one after the other as the folks at Semperfli state.