Saving one hook for reordering...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Saving one hook for reordering...

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:39 pm

When I get a new pack of hooks, I cut apart the package and trim out the label showing the make/model/size of the hook. I then take one of the hooks, and poke it thru the label. This way, I always have a single hook left over, to help me remember what the hook looked like, for reordering purposes.

Does anyone else do this?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Re: Saving one hook for reordering...

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:28 am

I don't usually empty the original package of new hooks into a container or compartment box, especially if it is a larger quantity purchase (50 or 100 pcs) or the package is of interest in and of itself. But I do almost always Scotch tape one of the hooks to the outside of the box so I know exactly what's inside without opening it up.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:47 am

Great tip, Bill. ;) I have several paper boxes of old hooks, which I need to do that.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
RickA

Post by RickA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am

Ray, I stored my hooks the same way until my then young son dumped the box sending several hundred
hooks to the floor and rug under my tying bench....oops.
A magnet made quick work of the mess but I lost a few dozen that went with the rug.
I spent countless hours sorting the hooks and always found a rouge while tying
Those size 16 and 18 3906 and 3906B's were a nightmare.

I found a bead box by Craft Masters with individual flip-up lids and a curved bottom which made for
easy hook selection. It also had a latch on the side to lock all compartments closed.
I used that system for a few years but it took up space when I downsized my travel kit
and went back to individual packs.

Yeah, I know, rugs eat dropped hooks but they also save my scissor points when they take a dive.