Update on Pearsall's Gossamer

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Update on Pearsall's Gossamer

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:16 am

Here is an update for the Pearsall's Gossamer watchers. Saturday night, our TU chapter had our annual fundraising dinner/auction. I'm behind on fly tying, but that is another story, so I wasn't able to contribute flies for the silent auction. In the past year, I've made several nice additions to my supply of Pearsall's Gossamer, including what I call the Holy Trinity of colors--purple, orange, and black.
005.JPG
005.JPG (134.36 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
I donated these 3 spools (#8 purple, #6a light orange, and #9 black), so the fly tyers would have an item to be excited about. The winning bid was $60.00. Next year's auction should have a nice supply of partridge & orange, snipe & purple, and black magic spiders for the non-tyers to bid on!

Tight Lines- Ken
Old Hat

Re: Update on Pearsall's Gossamer

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:41 am

Yikes! Sounds like they were a hit and good on them for coming through with the donation.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 am

Major props for the charitable donation, Ken, although I can't figure why anyone would want Pearsall's Gossamer black that badly unless it is just to have it for a collection -- I've never been able to tie with that fragile stuff. :(
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 am

I use the black for ribbing on some flies. I've never been able to tie a fly with it either. Seems prone to breaking. I wax the brown silk with dark cobbler's wax until it's almost black.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am

I've never tied with Pearsall's black; why would black be more 'fragile' than any other color? Is it an unintended consequence of the dying process?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:40 am

Mike62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am I've never tied with Pearsall's black; why would black be more 'fragile' than any other color? Is it an unintended consequence of the dying process?
Yes, something to do with the process to get black or in the black dye.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:51 am

If something went wrong dying say Primrose they did not throw it away just dyed it black. Too much time in hot dye baths that's why it breaks.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm

upstatetrout wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:51 am If something went wrong dying say Primrose they did not throw it away just dyed it black. Too much time in hot dye baths that's why it breaks.

Tom
I believe Bill Bailey has an even more intricate explanation but I don't remember what it is. It has to do with the dye used.

dd
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Traditionally, silk has been dyed black with logwood and iron (often ferrous sulfate). In time, the iron corrodes and the fibers crumble. It all depends on the skill of the dyer. I’m not sure what is used today for sewing thread but silk sutures still use logwood.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Mike62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am I've never tied with Pearsall's black; why would black be more 'fragile' than any other color? Is it an unintended consequence of the dying process?
Yes.

Ever wonder why Stewart's Black Spider was tied with brown thread?
Bob