Wild wabbit.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Wild wabbit.

Post by daringduffer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 pm

I received a full skin, head and scut an all, from an ebay seller from Northern Ireland today. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rabbit-Skin- ... 2749.l2649 It was very well prepared, and when I washed it the water was almost totally clean. I bought it for its sinking properties as well as its usefulness for binding dubbing mixes but mostly for its dark face underfur for the Baby Sun Fly. (It is just a little triangle in the face). I paid £10 for it.
I will eventually dry it with a hairdryer on 'cool'.

dd
tie2fish

Re: Wild wabbit.

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Great find, Stefan!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 pm

tie2fish wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:29 pm Great find, Stefan!
Exactly what my dog said, Bill!

dd
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 pm

That particular pelt is striking-there are a lot of different shades of color and texture, which is what you want in a really really good rabbit. Excellent find! Show us some finished product!!!!!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:20 pm

The rabbit skin I posted also came from the same seller. I’ve been buying from him for years and always have had a great experience.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 am

If you look at the ginger nape fur, partly hidden by the ears, that is the same colour as the partridge tail feather that Geoffrey Bucknall suggested as sub for landrail when winging a caddis (but he would say sedge). It doesn't come through as brilliant on my simple screen as in real life.

I know a professional fly tier who blends and dyes his own olive hare's ear dubbing. He uses the lovely blue rabbit underfur as a binder in the mix (come to think of it, he probably uses all the fur). The end product is wonderful.

For wet flies, the darker fur on the hind back, looking as hare's fur, ought to be useful with its sinking properties. I can't remember right now if I have seen this suggested. Could it be too soft?

Dana, when you come to look at my flies I will offer you a cup of coffee or tea, beer or a glass of wine or maybe single malt. If I don't open my door, I am most likely walking my toaureg girl (read sloughi). The risk that I am out fishing is unfortunately low.

Bill, I have also never been let down by this seller (buying birds). Never have I received a skin this well prepared. £10 is cheap when you think of all the work that goes into it.

dd