Dubbing Block; Old Dog Learns New Trick

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Dubbing Block; Old Dog Learns New Trick

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:27 pm

I've been reading through old topics since I joined the Flymph Forum in late Jan. I contacted William Anderson and purchased 1 of his Clark Spinning Blocks. It's a good-looking piece of wood (Myrtle) and is labeled #103.
015.JPG
015.JPG (135.86 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
I watched the tutorial and thought I would make my 1st attempt at spinning some fur bodies. I didn't want to try too many until I posted the results and received some feedback. No sense using up a bunch of Pearsall's Gossamer and then finding out I'm messing them up. Here are my early results. The pair on the right are olive hare's mask on olive (#16). The pair on the left are a blend of muskrat and natural hare's ear (blended in a small seed/coffee mill) on golden olive (#11).
016.JPG
016.JPG (204.16 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Tight Lines- Ken
Roadkill

Re: Dubbing Block; Old Dog Learns New Trick

Post by Roadkill » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Looks like you are in business to me! 8-) I adjust the dubbing quantity to match the style of body I want to tie, thinner for most mayflies and more robust for some caddis and mayflies like the Drakes.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 am

Ken, you are a natural!

...or it is that beautiful Oregon myrtle wood. :D

I used to adjust the amounts of the dubbing as far as thickness on the strands, but I had always found myself picking out some fibers after attaching it to the hook shank and before wrapping the strand around the hook just as a final grooming anyway. Now I just use the length markers for fly size, dub a good amount and spin and set. I attach the strand to the hook then lift it up snug with my left hand and groom it with my right to the density and shape I want before I wrap it. I do save the dubbing that I pick out as not to waste it.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:21 am

Hi guys,
Clark dubbing block:
I pencil in the thread type/color, and the dubbing type just above the bodies. Usually make up 1/2 dozen or so bodies at a time with pre-measured lengths of silk. I keep my cards in a file card box. I have marks on my desk for the thread length so I can pre-cut them.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Old Hat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 am Ken, you are a natural!

...or it is that beautiful Oregon myrtle wood. :D

I used to adjust the amounts of the dubbing as far as thickness on the strands, but I had always found myself picking out some fibers after attaching it to the hook shank and before wrapping the strand around the hook just as a final grooming anyway. Now I just use the length markers for fly size, dub a good amount and spin and set. I attach the strand to the hook then lift it up snug with my left hand and groom it with my right to the density and shape I want before I wrap it. I do save the dubbing that I pick out as not to waste it.
Carl, that is a great tip. Never really thought about reducing the fibers after it was spun.

Dave
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:04 pm

I had a chance to tie these 2 flies using an olive spun body from my new dubbing block. Actually was able to tie both flies from 1 piece of thread. The fly is a size 14. I used small gold wire for the tag/ribbing. The hackle is 2 turns from a Keough hen neck (medium dun).
037.JPG
037.JPG (141.14 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
Tight Lines- Ken
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Great looking flies!! 8-)

I like the tag and the body taper!
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 am

Those turned out great Ken.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 am

Well done, sir. There is nothing about those flies that I don't like.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:45 am

Agreed. They look like highly effective flies. I would fish those with complete confidence. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean