Pearsall's Gossamer Silk Colors – Wet and Dry

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Pearsall's Gossamer Silk Colors – Wet and Dry

Post by PhilA » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Ray, Stefan, and Mikael Modig posted here in 2011 a thoroughly excellent color chart of Pearsall's Gossamer silk threads (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1863). I've consulted it many times over the years but have often thought that a useful complement to the chart would be showing both wet and dry versions of each thread. Most of us have no doubt witnessed the darkening of Gossamer when wet, and some of the outcomes are a bit surprising. For example, No.3 (Primrose) turns a very pale olive, something that several authors have noted.

I've been working recently on such a wet/dry chart, and it is finally ready for public consumption. Many thanks to Stefan for helping me sort out which of my Gossamer spools are Primrose, Light Yellow, and Lemon Yellow. I wrapped two layers of each thread about a bronzed hook and photographed both hook and spool simultaneously. The white balance of my camera was calibrated, and colors in the photos are, to my eyes, very close to those on the spools.

The chart is quite large and should be zoomed in for best viewing of the wet/dry hooks. For example, when viewed at 100% size, each spool looks something like this:

The full chart is too large for viewing here, but it can be viewed, downloaded, and saved at: https://app.box.com/s/y34hr9vpfzs54lv2byhj3xww1dhicpdi

I made a similar chart of spools only (no hooks), which is available at:
https://app.box.com/s/3pmuu5kg393fpzo6k3kts6hfsrzqg8ak

I realize the madness of making a color chart for threads that no longer exist, but I suspect that, like me, many folks here have stashes of Pearsall's Gossamer that will last for many years. I hope these charts are helpful.

Cheers,
Phil
daringduffer

Re: Pearsall's Gossamer Silk Colors – Wet and Dry

Post by daringduffer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Immensely valuable deed, Phil. I love maniacs!

dd
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:18 pm

I would expected nothing less from the Pearsall's Gossamer Silk Professor. :D

dd, well said. :lol: :lol:
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:41 pm

That's amazing! I had no idea the colors changed so dramatically.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:59 pm

The dramatic color change is in unwanted thread. Once silk is well waxed it seldom changes color when in water. It’s common in Salmon flies to use a white underbody so the over wrapped colors appear more brilliant when wet. It’s always a good idea to test a new pattern under water to see if it’s the color that you expected.
B
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:26 am

Phil,

It's a wonderful resource and much appreciated!

I do have a few questions for the Pearsall's Professor:

Why does "Claret" have 2 different numbers (# 14) and (#191)? Claret (#191) actually looks like
the twin brother of "Cardinal Red" (#12); it looks nothing like Claret (#14). When did this color change
happen?

When did #15 (New) Dark Claret replace #15 (Old) Maroon?

Are there any differences in the thread on the wooden spools when compared to the thread of the same color on the white plastic spools?

Will you be producing this chart in "poster size" to hang on the wall behind our fly tying desks?

Thanks- Ken
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:21 am

Ken, my wooden spools of hot orange look slightly different shade than the white plastic spools I have. Some older thread on the FlymphForum, I think by John Shaner, spoke about the differences and why it happened.

Ken, I like your idea... Phil should put his work in a nice wooden frame with three flymph patterns and a spool of 6B at the bottom. Or, he can just send me a spool of 6B and I will make my own. :roll:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:24 am

Magnificent! These are the best Pearsall’s color reference charts I’ve seen. Very well done.

Thanks Phil, for sharing these with us. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to one’s self also helps)."
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 am

Enlightening to say the least. Thanks for sharing those.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 am

Bazzer69 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:59 pm
The dramatic color change is in unwaxedw thread. Once silk is well waxed it seldom changes color when in water. It’s common in Salmon flies to use a white underbody so the over wrapped colors appear more brilliant when wet. It’s always a good idea to test a new pattern under water to see if it’s the color that you expected.
B
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either