Top 6 Commonly Used Hen Neck Colors?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Top 6 Commonly Used Hen Neck Colors?

Post by tie2fish » Wed May 15, 2019 5:03 am

I generally use hen grizzly mixed with another color to produce a variegated effect.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 pm

I agree with the necessity of a good selection of Dun colors due to so many Mayflies having varied dun colored wings.

But first I would also ask myself, what are the insects I am most commonly trying to mimic and where am I fishing?

Where I used to fish in Eastern Oregon I loved to hit a hatch of PMDs with a yellow flymph tied with medium dun hen, a SH with a dun hackle or a P&Y. But some of the time there was also a hatch of Epeorus mayflies and the fish keyed on the larger mayfly dun that had Yellow wings instead of Dun. A yellow hen feathered Flymph out performed the usual flies during these complex hatches.

When I tie, I usually try to apply a dictum from Architecture that I learned from a friend in a sketching class at college-"Form follows function!".
tjd

Post by tjd » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 am

I like to tie and fish non-descript, buggy, small wets. I tend to fish dun, brown/tan, cream, and black patterns. I use a lot of Charlie Collins's hen capes, one of a kind, mottled, speckled, and quite interesting.
Cree hen is nice. I've tied some of Atherton's wets in the flymph style this year, and have found them to be effective...although conditions and time on the stream have not allowed me enough time to really give them a good swim.
I have two Weidner hen capes/saddles (sold as a set) that I purchased many years ago at E. Hille's in Williamsport, PA (I really miss that shop!). They are a med/dark dun with an almost golden to fiery edge to the hackles. They tie a very nice Hendrickson or general early season wet fly.
Such a beautiful and buggy array of colors available, and the trout seem to approve of them all.
Good tying, all!

Tim
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

tjd wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 am They are a med/dark dun with an almost golden to fiery edge to the hackles.
I would love to see a cape like that. Weidner - who was he?

dd
tjd

Post by tjd » Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 am

DD,

Weidner was a hackle grower that I believe was located in Pennsylvania. I'm unsure if the operation is still in business. The cards/packaging only say "Weidner Hackle", no address, or contact info. I just did a Google search and came up with nothing.
I recall talking to Charlie Collins about the hackles, but it was a number of years ago.
I'm photography challenged...but if you pm me your address I'll send you a few of the hackles.

Best,

Tim
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon May 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Thanks Tim. Will do.

dd
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

I appreciate all of the comments/experience you shared about hen neck colors. I ordered 4 colors: furnace, medium dun, ginger, and badger. These sets (cape & saddle) came from Collins Hackle Farm. After speaking with Charlie, I mailed him a note with my color choices and a check. Dropped it off at the post office after work last Wednesday; received my package today (the following Wednesday). My photography skills are very marginal, but here goes.
013.JPG
013.JPG (151.19 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
The colors look good and the hook size range is too. I pulled these feathers from about the middle of each neck. Tying size 18 will not be a problem.
020.JPG
020.JPG (149.94 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
Looking forward to researching some patterns and spending some time at the vise!

Thanks again- Ken
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Ken - Great choices. All of them look super useful. I am looking forward to seeing the patterns you tye with these.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:50 am

Those are some nice looking necks and the colors are great. I haven't seen Collins necks in some time. I may have to get an order in. Does he still throw in the saddle as well?
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am

I believe he does Ron. Not a better deal going anywhere.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com