Golden Pheasant Crests

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bazzer69

Golden Pheasant Crests

Post by Bazzer69 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:44 am

Not really soft hackles, but I’m looking for a couple of nice, ie select Golden Pheasant heads with crests of course. My local shop, The Fly Shop in Redding does not stock them for some reason, duh! I can get them from a couple of online Salmon material suppliers but they want $15 for them!
Thanks
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Bazzer69

Re: Golden Pheasant Crests

Post by Bazzer69 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:24 pm

John, thanks for the links, I might try one of them. The prices are ok as long as they are nice straight, or rather curved crests. Some of them tend to be twisted which can be corrected for show flies, but quickly return to their material state when fished resulting in a spinning fly!
Thanks
Barry
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu May 09, 2019 4:06 pm

You might try John at Feathersmc.com. His crests are graded so you can get pretty much what you want or need at reasonable prices. That's where my wife gets her Atlantic Salmon fly material, including crests.

https://feathersmc.com/product-category ... ub-cat-gp/
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu May 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Ron - That’s the one I was going to recommend too, but I couldn’t remember the name earlier.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Unfortunately feathersmc are one of the expensive ones. I’ve just ordered a couple from Hook & Hackle. Complete heads with crest and tippets are $8.95. John wants $15 for a head without tippets as I read it on his website. I have purchased much from him before, great quality but expensive. Salmon fly tyers don’t seem to mind!
Thanks
B
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 am

https://feathersmc.com/product/golden-p ... hole-head/

$8-$12 for a complete head, extra select is $12, fishing grade is $8. Nothing wrong with Hook and Hackle though. They have great stuff, fast shipping and very reasonable prices. Spend a bit of money there myself.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 am https://feathersmc.com/product/golden-p ... hole-head/

$8-$12 for a complete head, extra select is $12, fishing grade is $8. Nothing wrong with Hook and Hackle though. They have great stuff, fast shipping and very reasonable prices. Spend a bit of money there myself.
My issue with feathersmc is he charges $10 shipping for a single feather! Seems a little excessive to me. Nearly all the other suppliers seem to stock Hareline product which is very variable in quality. I ordered two from one supplier to be told they are on backorder and would take four week before they have them.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri May 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Yeah, that is a bit high, but I've had others charge even higher. I just like the quality and fast service. I also use Hook and Hackle, as mentioned before, JStockard, and Dakota Angler and Outfitter, just ordered a few hooks from Bob Marriot (had to wait two weeks until they got them in). Jim Slattery is my go to guy for most soft hackle stuff though. For hard to find stuff I hit up Steve at Cookshill.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:33 pm Yeah, that is a bit high, but I've had others charge even higher. I just like the quality and fast service. I also use Hook and Hackle, as mentioned before, JStockard, and Dakota Angler and Outfitter, just ordered a few hooks from Bob Marriot (had to wait two weeks until they got them in). Jim Slattery is my go to guy for most soft hackle stuff though. For hard to find stuff I hit up Steve at Cookshill.
Ron, are familiar with Alvin Theriault (Theriault's flies) in Staceyville, Maine? He sells Golden Pheasant crests as well. $6.99 per crest. $3.50 to ship. He also sells dyed crest: Black, highlander green, hot orange, purple, and red. He raises a significant amount of the birds he sells right there in Staceyville.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat May 11, 2019 7:59 am

I have heard the name mentioned, but have never been there. Still pretty new to the state. I'll be sure to check him out. I could use some hot orange and red. Thanks for the heads up, Mike.