YLI Silk thread junkie

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: YLI Silk thread junkie

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks. You can't order them though they are just for comparison. I have the color card #2 here but have not been able to find #1. Their photo colors are a little saturated on the website.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm

This might be for both. The description isn't specific.

https://www.judimadsen.com/products/kim ... 2c86&_ss=r
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 am

I lucked out and found a quilt store in Bend that carries the YLI... had almost all the colors that a tyer would want and at $7 per spool, not too bad. Dummy me though wound up with two spools of #213. Anyone want a trade,...
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Years ago, Alec Jackson (former USA Pearsall's distributor) sent me the Pearsall's embroidery silk chart to pick the closest to Straw #2. Pearsall's lost the original recipes for it as well as the other unavailable colors. I got to keep the chart and I received box of a dozen #2 Straw gossamer reels for my effort.

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:33 pm

wsbailey wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 pm Years ago, Alec Jackson (former USA Pearsall's distributor) sent me the Pearsall's embroidery silk chart to pick the closest to Straw #2. Pearsall's lost the original recipes for it as well as the other unavailable colors. I got to keep the chart and I received box of a dozen #2 Straw gossamer reels for my effort.

Bill

I was introduced to Alec Jackson quite a few years ago via another guy (a very good rod-building friend of Alec) and Alec sold me his products as a dealer, so I was able to get LOTS of his silks at VERY reasonable prices. Alec had told me (years ago) that he had special runs made of the Straw and a couple other colors (Golden Olive, maybe). For awhile, he used to send these cards out with some of his shipments.

Bob
Attachments
Alec Jackson's Soft Hackle Dressings.jpg
Alec Jackson's Soft Hackle Dressings.jpg (584.48 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:01 pm

B ob,
Yes, I remember those cards. I miss characters like Alec.

Bill
lonewolve88

Post by lonewolve88 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:24 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:26 pm Ok, I know I got carried away, but I wanted to see the colors upfront and close. :lol:

YLI-Silk-Thread.jpg

I really enjoying tying with silk thread with Bailey's wax and no bobbin. With 200 meter spools i doubt I will run out very soon.

$6.25/spool (200 meters = 656 feet)

For comparsion between some colors of Pearsall Gossamer and YLI and close up of the YLI colors I created this page... https://wiflyfisher.com/YLI-Silk-Thread-Review.asp
Thank you for this post, I have a few spools in each color of Gossamer and Marabou but when they are gone they are gone.