Starling source...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: Starling source...

Post by Mike62 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 am

Old Hat wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:47 pm Aaron Ostoj often has some of good quality. About 2x the shop cost, you'll have to decide if worth it. He often has very nicely dyed options too and can custom dye for you.

https://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/sto ... Skins.html
Thank you, Carl; I hadn't heard of him before.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am

Mike62 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 am
Old Hat wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:47 pm Aaron Ostoj often has some of good quality. About 2x the shop cost, you'll have to decide if worth it. He often has very nicely dyed options too and can custom dye for you.

https://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/sto ... Skins.html
Thank you, Carl; I hadn't heard of him before.
He doesn't stock up a lot. So you do have to check in and see what he has but he is a great guy and can have some very cool skins for soft hackles every now and then.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
JohnMD1022

Post by JohnMD1022 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:02 pm

zen leecher wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm I think in the past the three sources I've used are 1) Great Feathers, 2) Blue Ribbon and 3) back yard.

Last I bought was from Great Feathers and it was a good skin.
Great Feathers is a great shop and the owner,Mike Watriss,is great guy.

I’ve been heard saying that if Mike sold burgers and beer there would be no reason to go home.
"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:40 pm

Mike
I’m a little surprised to hear that there aren’t many starlings up your way. I would’ve thought you could throw some corn out in the backfield and have enough starling to supply the group!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:20 am

Theroe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:40 pm Mike
I’m a little surprised to hear that there aren’t many starlings up your way. I would’ve thought you could throw some corn out in the backfield and have enough starling to supply the group!

Dana
Dana, my friend, the late Denny Conrad of Conranch Hackle, skinned one starling for me back in the day. This was a man who skinned thousands of chickens, pheasants, guinea and jungle cock a year. After one starling he told me to never ask him again. They are, apparently, a nasty bird to skin. I'll take Denny's word and buy mine.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"