Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm

wsbailey

No worries the bobbins may come in handy for beefier tying thread on big saltwater ties. ;)

bill
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 am

I going back to my childhood when I could not afford a real bobbin. :)

Since the YLI silk thread, like Kimono, is pretty cheap, less the $0.01 per lineal foot. I don't use a bobbin. I just cut about 12" off, wax it with Bailey's Wax and secure the htread to the hook shank. It really grabs and I find I have more control. No need for head cement either with the wax. If needed I attach hackle pliers to hold the thread while I get the other materials ready.
driftless

Post by driftless » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 am

Yes, those larger bobbins are a pain. I've found that judicious use of needle-nose pliers to re-shape the shorter bobbins works well. I've done it on a couple bobbins & use those for the YLI & Kimono silk spools.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:40 pm

driftless

That is what I did for my home tying station...ImageIMGP9437 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I bought the large bobbins for some portable tying kits. The purple spool in the original photo is one of the bobbins from my Kimono tower.

ForumGhillie

I tied for about 20 years as you described without a bobbin and I am now too spoiled to go back, it is sooo easy to just let a bobbin hang. If I break my thread I grab it with one of these...
ImageIMGP9986 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
Bobfly

Post by Bobfly » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Just to consider downsizing to avoid bulky bobbins at the vice I shift thread off big spools onto small mini bobbins. These you can buy in dozen packs in a sewing shop and they are the bottom bobbin in a domestic sewing machine and you just use the machine's own bobbin filler system to fill the small bobbin from the main spool. Quick and easy and then you can make a big volume reduction. Very handy too for any mobile tying set up if travelling. Bottom mini bobbins are available in metal and plastic and I have two bobbins loaded with fine copper wire and a silver wire one, and find that their handling during tying gives good control.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:32 pm

Bobfly, I'm using the Wasatch Mini-Bobbins for silk thread. I borrow my wife's sewing machine to transfer silk to the smaller bobbins as well. I have about 20 of the mini-Bobbins, so I keep them loaded with silk colors I commonly use. I may have to try a couple for wire also.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"