Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Post by daringduffer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 am

Carl, I must have been still half asleep. I meant I prefer a well waxed no 4, Light yellow, to a well waxed no 3, primrose. I think it was Gwilym Hughes who suggested this practise and I tried it I liked the resulting olive colour. I will put up a link to a disgusting Dry fly tying video by him in the Cabin. I found him when I was looking for 'cobblers wax' way back then. He was a successful competition fly fisherman and author. (Maybe not that successful as an author).

(I suppose your Pearsall's yellow is no 4,5 and is the only spool of that shade. It is unique! ;) ).

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:36 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:39 pm Just an FYI.. I have been tying size #20 spiders with YLI silk, starling feather and Bailey's wax with no issues and body is not bulky at all.
Oh, I don't think there is a problem doing it with YLI, Pearsall's or any of the others just I have grown to prefer the Kimono for it.

This was not a post to promote one over another just to supply information.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 am

I too have begun to tie more with YLI since I found a local supply, a certain member of the forum persuaded one of the local quilting shops to carry a large number of the YLI colors, Carl.. do you know, or do you care, what is the difference in diameter of the YLI vs.Kimono? and can the Kimono be split easily?
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks Carl!!

But now I have to order more silk and a few bobbins!! ;) :lol:
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 pm

ronr wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 am I too have begun to tie more with YLI since I found a local supply, a certain member of the forum persuaded one of the local quilting shops to carry a large number of the YLI colors, Carl.. do you know, or do you care, what is the difference in diameter of the YLI vs.Kimono? and can the Kimono be split easily?
To be honest, the specific diameter measurements don’t matter to me. It does split fine. It is a two strand thread not 3 like the Pearsall’s.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks for posting this Carl. Great info and pics!
Greg
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:50 pm

wsbailey wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm Thanks Carl. Here’s a source for large thread bobbins if you need them.

https://www.mudhole.com/Extra-Large-Thread-Bobbin
My silk and bobbins arrived together yesterday. But I find the large thread bobbins which are about 5 1/2" from center of the spool to tip and 2 inches wide with the spool inserted unwieldy in my hand for tying small flies.

The mudhole bobbin is on the left and my usual bobbin/Piersall's on the right.
ImageIMGP9985 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 pm

After I posted the link to the Mudhole bobbin I discovered that Griffin made a rod wrapping bobbin with ceramic insert. The trouble is it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm

wsbailey

No worries the bobbins may come in handy for beefier tying thread on big saltwater ties. ;)

bill
driftless

Post by driftless » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 am

Yes, those larger bobbins are a pain. I've found that judicious use of needle-nose pliers to re-shape the shorter bobbins works well. I've done it on a couple bobbins & use those for the YLI & Kimono silk spools.