Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Kimono/Pearsall coordinated numbers

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:40 pm

driftless

That is what I did for my home tying station...ImageIMGP9437 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I bought the large bobbins for some portable tying kits. The purple spool in the original photo is one of the bobbins from my Kimono tower.

ForumGhillie

I tied for about 20 years as you described without a bobbin and I am now too spoiled to go back, it is sooo easy to just let a bobbin hang. If I break my thread I grab it with one of these...
ImageIMGP9986 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
Bobfly

Post by Bobfly » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Just to consider downsizing to avoid bulky bobbins at the vice I shift thread off big spools onto small mini bobbins. These you can buy in dozen packs in a sewing shop and they are the bottom bobbin in a domestic sewing machine and you just use the machine's own bobbin filler system to fill the small bobbin from the main spool. Quick and easy and then you can make a big volume reduction. Very handy too for any mobile tying set up if travelling. Bottom mini bobbins are available in metal and plastic and I have two bobbins loaded with fine copper wire and a silver wire one, and find that their handling during tying gives good control.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:32 pm

Bobfly, I'm using the Wasatch Mini-Bobbins for silk thread. I borrow my wife's sewing machine to transfer silk to the smaller bobbins as well. I have about 20 of the mini-Bobbins, so I keep them loaded with silk colors I commonly use. I may have to try a couple for wire also.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 am

A trip to a fabric/craft store and the local hardware store set me up to load sewing bobbins with Kimono and YLI silk for my expo tying box...

ImageIMGP0028 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

a tapered metal pin to fit into the bobbins and a plumbing washer drilled to fit enabled me to spin up the silk with my variable speed drill...

ImageIMGP0032 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Roadkill's Pearsall's replacement silk selection ready for the Albany Expo ;)
https://nwexpo.com/wp/
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Nice!

Thanks for sharing Bill. I enjoy seeing your inventiveness and creative problem solving.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:51 am

John - Are you getting rigged up for an OPST line?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:49 am

Roadkill wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 am
a tapered metal pin to fit into the bobbins and a plumbing washer drilled to fit enabled me to spin up the silk with my variable speed drill...
A drill bit with masking tape wrapped around it is a less elegant, but cheaper and probably faster solution.
Bob
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 pm Bill, that is cool. I could have used your setup to put the Lazar shooting line on my new reel last night. It would be a lot faster than a pencil and begging my wife to hold the pencil for a minute. :)

Hardy-Ultralite-4000-Reel.jpg
My wife held the pencil for two Hardy Ultralite 4000's for new backing, Lazer line and Commando head, only because one of them was hers.

If anyone runs across a sub for Pearsall's 6A, post it up please. Carl did an amazing job researching the color subs for every color I normally use, except 6A.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 am
ForumGhillie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 pm Bill, that is cool. I could have used your setup to put the Lazar shooting line on my new reel last night. It would be a lot faster than a pencil and begging my wife to hold the pencil for a minute. :)

Hardy-Ultralite-4000-Reel.jpg
My wife held the pencil for two Hardy Ultralite 4000's for new backing, Lazer line and Commando head, only because one of them was hers.

If anyone runs across a sub for Pearsall's 6A, post it up please. Carl did an amazing job researching the color subs for every color I normally use, except 6A.
Ron

I believe that YLI #216 should be close to Pearsall Hot Orange #19 and YLI #231 should be close to Pearsall #6a.

Bob
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks, Bob. I was looking at that YLI 231, but only on the computer. Appreciate the heads up.

REE