PEARSALL'S IS BACK!!!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jcwillow777

PEARSALL'S IS BACK!!!

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:01 pm

For those of you that got to the dance a little late like me, and have never tied with Pearsall's, it's back! :D I just got an email from Steve Culton, Currentstreams, and he took a picture of Mike Hogue, owner of Badger Creek, with a sign saying Pearsall's is back at the Marlborough Expo. He said that another company bought the rights to Pearsalls and their dying process, and is now offering tying silks.

I for one am excited. Can't wait to score some at the MMFC Expo in March. I have a boatload of Ephemera silk, but there are a lot of colors available through Pearsall that aren't through Ephemera. I started stocking up on Ephemera when I found out that Pearsall went out of business. I wanted to make sure I had enough silk until I can't fly fish of tie any longer. Hopefully quite a while, i'm 67. I have plenty of Ephemera, but no Pearsall. But the things they are a changin'!
Greg
wsbailey

Re: PEARSALL'S IS BACK!!!

Post by wsbailey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:31 pm

jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks for posting the site. Hope they will be getting more colors.
Greg
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Morus plans to make them all eventually according to their website.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:29 pm

This is really good news! Thank you guys for bringing this to us! It is my earnest hope that production will catch up with the need and requests from all of us! I can't wait to see the expanded color selections that they promise in the write up! Wow! $8 and some change per spool! Yikes! The price of flies just went up!
Glad to see it back in production no matter what the cost!
Ducksden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:33 am

JCW777 / Dougsden,

Here are some previous posts on the topic of a "Pearsall's Replacement Silk"
with some color comparisons (Morus to Pearsall's), comments on why or why not
to use it, and options for other substitutes (YLI and Kimono):

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8629

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8809

Tight Lines- Ken
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 am

FWIW - Jim has the genuine model in stock: when you factor in all of the costs it’s just about the same price as the “new” Pearsalls.......

I personally prefer the “real thing”

Theroe
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:52 am

If it turns out to be true then I'm happy for everyone. I'm not enough of a tying savant to appreciate the subtle nuances of the different silks available; I'm still learning. There's enough of my late grandfathers flinty, hard scrabble, frugal, New England hill farmer in me to keep from paying $8.00 a spool for the Morus or the 'new' Pearsall's if that be what the price runs.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:41 am

I believe what Mike Hogue is carrying is the Morus silks. I know he and Gunpowder are going to be among the distributors in the US.

I tried a couple spools of the Morus and it's pretty nice to tie with. I put the Morus spools next to Pearsall's spools of the same color and they were, to my eye, identical. I don't know if that's the case for all colors, but was true for those I had.

I used to spend between 5 and 6 bucks for a spool of Pearsall's. As small as the market is for silk tying thread, I don't think spending $8 a spool is all that bad. If they don't make a profit, they won't be around long.

That being said, I also have spools of YLI and Kimono silks as well, plus a recent order from Jim Slattery of the real deal Pearsall's.

I figure the Pearsall's has to last me another ten to fifteen years, then it won't matter to me at all.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Using the Morus silk thread for NC spiders only; the cost per fly is relatively small. For a dubbing block or loop; either YLI or Kimono silk thread would be the cost conscious choice.