Dubbings & Hackles, etc.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Dubbings & Hackles, etc.

Post by hankaye » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Theroe, Howdy;
Theroe wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm At 60, I’m still in the “need more crap” phase...

SO, Send everything to Theroe! :lol: :lol:
Careful how you phrase statements like that above, ...
First it's a small envelope, then a small package, next one slightly larger ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:49 pm

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only tortured soul who finds tying materials --- especially new, interesting, or rare ones --- to be irresistible temptations. I need a 12-step recovery program but, as best I can judge, steps 1 through 11 involve continued acquisition.
Last edited by PhilA on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:22 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:20 pm You know you guys are just terrible, especially joaniebo, narcobobber, dana, bearbutt, PhilA. It's no wonder I have such a tough time finding fly tying materials to hoard. :D
John

What do you need? We probably have extra of most things.

Bob
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:20 pm You know you guys are just terrible, especially joaniebo, narcobobber, dana, bearbutt, PhilA. It's no wonder I have such a tough time finding fly tying materials to hoard. :D
How the hell did I get roped into this?--LOL

I was thinking recently how the Coronavirus and other viral nasties are being tracked back to....creatures...and it may not be long before there's some kind of embargo on the trade of animal and bird 'parts' (except Chicken feet in Las Vegas buffets)--I mean, like peacock and plover and grouse and partridge--and that maybe it's a good time to stock up--especially if we get quarantined for a couple of months and have nothing to do except read Shakespeare and tie flies.

So--you hoarders need to hoard a little more. John, as I told you a couple of days ago, Phil and I are going to visit Dave Roberts' House of Ill Fame next week, and you are welcome to join us. Dave takes credit cards. He has really cute stuff.

bb
Last edited by bearbutt on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:48 am

Grouse I've got, enough to tie into the next millennium. Virus free...
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:04 am

bearbutt wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 pm
How the hell did I get roped into this?--LOL

I was thinking recently how the Coronavirus and other viral nasties are being tracked back to....creatures...and it may not be long before there's some kind of embargo on the trade of animal and bird 'parts' (except Chicken feet in Las Vegas buffets)--I mean, like peacock and plover and grouse and partridge--and that maybe it's a good time to stock up--especially if we get quarantined for a couple of months and have nothing to do except read Shakespeare and tie flies.

So--you hoarders need to hoard a little more. John, as I told you a couple of days ago, Phil and I are going to visit Dave Roberts' House of Ill Fame next week, and you are welcome to join us. Dave takes credit cards. He has really cute stuff.

bb
BB

Good luck at Dave Roberts' place. Last time I was there, I left $300+ poorer!

Bob

PS - But he has sooooo many nice (dead) birds!
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 am

While we are talking about "seasoning", I fall into that 70's category when it comes to age, but I'm a juvenile when it come to fly tying. I've had the good fortune to meet a number of lifetime tyers and marvel at their collection of materials, books, and skills. I envy you guys who have the collections that include the traditional feathers, threads, and other goodies. Thank you for sharing your stuff and I'm working hard to build my collection that someday my kids are going to have to deal with.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:41 pm

A little peek behind the curtains at Dave Roberts' remarkable Feather Emporium...

Natural coachman brown:

Got cree?

Signed by Tom Whiting:

Blue collar cree:

The source of Lady Gaga's fashion feathers:

Bins & bins:

Bins in all directions. The amazing thing is that Dave knows exactly where everything is!

Bad dog:
Last edited by PhilA on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:46 am

letumgo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:36 pm I drove past a perfectly good dead skunk last week, and did not stop to take it home for skinning/tying. I still regret it. :cry:

So yeah, I'm still in the collecting phase... :twisted:

😵 where was(is)it😬😬😬😬
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am

GREAT post, PhilA........Love the picture with the pup. My dog used to do the same thing, and even make the same face when I caught her going through my pelts to play with.
“Mans best friend, in mans best pastime” - What could be better?
Bad dog:
[/quote]
Soft and wet - the only way....