Fresh New York city sidewalk kill

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Theroe

Re: Fresh New York city sidewalk kill

Post by Theroe » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 am

driftless wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 am Nothing like a nice morning fry. It's standard fare on our visits to Ireland and can easily hold you up until tea (or Guinness time) if you are on your feet or touring somewhere. Good tea is essential. Barry's, readily available here in the States, is excellent and is our "house" tea here in Wisconsin.

One thing I like about Irish B&B's is that cereal, whether cold or hot, is considered a breakfast appetizer.

Happy St. Pat's, everyone. :mrgreen:

Paul
+1 for Barrys Gold
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 am

Theroe wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:10 pm
wsbailey wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 am flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/reviews/view/lathkill_mouse
Thank you – very nice article.
I can attest to the fact that a mouse is very difficult to skin. I actually gave up on that aspect and opted instead to freeze them whole and then shave them with a detail trimmer.........just one of the things that led to my divorce.....
I never would have thought of that. I've got an Ermine in the freezer that I could shave. Field mice here have a nice winter coat and if I can steal one away from the barn cats I'm going to try this.

...what's a detail trimmer?
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 am

Mike62, Howdy;
Mike62 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 am
wsbailey wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 am flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/reviews/view/lathkill_mouse
I can attest to the fact that a mouse is very difficult to skin. I actually gave up on that aspect and opted instead to freeze them whole and then shave them with a detail trimmer.........just one of the things that led to my divorce.....
I never would have thought of that. I've got an Ermine in the freezer that I could shave. Field mice here have a nice winter coat and if I can steal one away from the barn cats I'm going to try this.

Pick one. https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... 17&bih=736

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 am

hankaye wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 am Mike62, Howdy;
Mike62 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 am

hank
Mouse fur is extra EXTRA fine, and I have come to learn it will clog the trimmer. This results in having to disassemble the trimmer every four or five cuts to clean it thoroughly and put it back together again. It sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but mouse fur is so fine that a little goes a long long way. You can of course leave it on the hide and can show us little bits as needed to tie flies. This method works too!
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:22 am

hankaye wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 am Mike62, Howdy;

hank
Ahhh, ...manscaping. The closest thing I have to Dana's tool are some electric shears leftover from a failed sheep experiment. Squaring up a mouse with those puppies would be bloody.