Pearsall's Silk

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Pearsall's Silk

Post by Jim Slattery » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:52 pm

If you want Pearsall's silk I have what is left of the supply. Gossamer, Naples and Marabou.
In the near future I will have Morbus(?) Silk in stock as well.
https://jimsflyco.com/ECommerce/Pearsal ... ead?bId=12
Jim
Theroe

Re: Pearsall's Silk

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Yes, Jim has Pearsalls Silk. And I want to point something out, which I believe is important. I recently purchased a dozen or so spools from Jim. When they arrived, I took them out of their packages and place them on my desk adjacent to other spools that I had purchased from different shops over the years.
Without exception, every spool that I purchased from Jim has correct colors and the silk is wound on tightly. This is not the case with other spools of Pearsalls that I have purchased from other fly shops or online from crapBay. In many cases the silk looks like it was either rewound, or not wound correctly from the factory. :o Also the colors seem off – and this is not a difference in dye lots. :x
I will not go as far to say that some of the items I bought were counterfeit, but it is clearly not the quality of what I bought from Jim. I think this is an important factor, when considering whether or not to plunk down hard earned cash for items that are not easy to get anymore.
Buyer beware-I only purchase from reputable shops anymore.

This is just my two cents for what it’s worth..... :D
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks Dana!

I have fresh unopened boxes of 12 that I pull the orders from.
I do have a bit of a hard time letting the Silk orders leave the shop.
When they're gone they're gone.
ocsofthackle

Post by ocsofthackle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:30 am

Which colors are available. Am looking for purple ,primrose and black in both gossamer and marabou.
ocsofthackle

Post by ocsofthackle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 am

Sorry just noticed the link to your site with the answer to my question.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:25 am

Theroe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 pm Yes, Jim has Pearsalls Silk. And I want to point something out, which I believe is important. I recently purchased a dozen or so spools from Jim. When they arrived, I took them out of their packages and place them on my desk adjacent to other spools that I had purchased from different shops over the years.
Without exception, every spool that I purchased from Jim has correct colors and the silk is wound on tightly. This is not the case with other spools of Pearsalls that I have purchased from other fly shops or online from crapBay. In many cases the silk looks like it was either rewound, or not wound correctly from the factory. :o Also the colors seem off – and this is not a difference in dye lots. :x
I will not go as far to say that some of the items I bought were counterfeit, but it is clearly not the quality of what I bought from Jim. I think this is an important factor, when considering whether or not to plunk down hard earned cash for items that are not easy to get anymore.
Buyer beware-I only purchase from reputable shops anymore.

This is just my two cents for what it’s worth..... :D
Dana
Dana

For many years, I obtained Pearsall silks directly from Alec Jackson who was the North American importer / distributor. Every now and then, I would receive a spool that looked like it was loosely wound on the spool. I just unwrapped a few feet of the thread and wound it a little tighter on the spool.

Bob