Ringneck Pheasant Skin

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Ringneck Pheasant Skin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:06 am

The past couple weeks I've been absolutely fascinated by the variety of different hackle types on a ringneck pheasant skin. It is really work picking one up, sit down near a sunny window and carefully view the feathers up close. The feathers have a natural iridescence, reflecting light and changing colors much like a butterfly wing.

I've tried to capture some pictures of different regions of the feathers, to show the amazing variety. Simply dazzling, when viewed up close. And inspiring, when you think of all the tying possibilities available...

The feathers of the neck ring are an electric blue-green. These would make nice little soft hackles. There white feathers, have a striking black markings (hidden by the overlapping feather tips).

Shoulder Region (nice auburn color soft hackle feathers):

Upper Back Region (the black tips flash irridescent purple when hit with sunlight - these might make interesting wing cases)

Larger Feathers

Church Window Feathers

Flank Feathers (Auburn and Deep Red-Browns)

Hidden under the edges of the skin, are some soft and rich dark brown feathers.

The rear flanks transition into Marabou Feathers (soft and fluffy - excellent for streamers)

Anyway. Just wanted to share my recent ringneck pheasant obsession. Take a close look at the feathers. The range of colors/textures/sizes will provide endless tying possibilities. Covering fly sizes from large streamers all the way down to wee wingless wet flies.

Have fun!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Re: Ringneck Pheasant Skin

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 am

Instead of palmering a hackle in the construction of an Olive or Peacock Woolly Bugger, try tying one of those deep rich Red/Brown or Church Window feathers in as a collar. Like a giant soft hackle.

Thank you Ray for the inspiring photos of your current obsession.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:34 am

Wayne - That is what I've been doing every evening this past week. Tying streamers, but changing out the collar hackle for different types of ringneck pheasant hackle. I really like the variety of looks, all from the same basis construction.

I started with some good ole white woolly buggers, but wanted a less body hackle (fly will sink faster and fish deeper without the palmered hackle). The combinations are endless (mix and match colors/sizes) to suit the depth/speed your going to be fishing.

Last week I was fishing the stream when the water was high and muddy. I needed some large high viz streamers, but had none in my box at the time (grrrr). Next time I will be ready, and perhaps show fish something they like (and can see).

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:06 am

8-) Don't forget the tail!

Ray this is only the first chapter on Pheasant feather addiction :roll: , you haven't included the hen feathers.

Your bird has not even been to the Spa (the dyed rooster rumps or the special dyed white cock that make such nice Heron subs on steelhead or spey flies.) ;)
ImageIMGP0216 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

After that you can chronicle the other pheasant breeds...
the tying choices are endless. :D
Bill
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:17 am

Bill - It appears you've ventured into the deep end... That is an amazing collection of pheasant skins. I have several patches of dyed pheasant rump feathers (steelhead flies), but only a fraction of your set.

Someday I hope to get my hands on a melanistic pheasant skin. They look very useful for fishing flies.

Hen pheasant is ideal for more drab patterns.

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:25 am

:roll: There are even more over at Camp Roadkill, along with the blue eared pheasant! ;)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am

A blue ear pheasant skin would be nice too...

Bill - We may need to start one of those 12 step self help groups. (humor)

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:36 pm

Ray

Interesting post as I've spent most of this past week sorting through packages of feathers, plucking hackles from birds, etc. and the last bird I did yesterday were rooster and hen pheasants. Went through quite a few bags of pheasant feathers and sorting. combining them from bags I've accumlated of the years. Still haven't touched the whole skins yet to add to the sorted bags but probably will this week.

You are correct that there are MANY different colors, shapes and sizes of feathers on rooster and hen pheasant skins that will make mucho soft hackles, streamers and nymphs.

Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Ringneck Rules!

Post by letumgo » Sun May 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Best Fish So Far...male steelhead on a ringneck pheasant streamer

The moment of release...priceless...

NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 pm

Wonderful bird that Ringneck and I might add that not as varied but some lovely feathers can be found on the hen. I just skinned and saltedmone last night. Beautiful feathers.